Matter and Interactions, 3rd Edition
January 2010, ©2010
The text emphasizes that there are only a small number of fundamental principles that underlie the behavior of matter, and that by using these powerful principles, it is possible to construct models that can explain and predict a wide variety of physical phenomena.
Matter & Interactions is available as a single volume hardcover text and also two paperback volumes. Vol. 1, Modern Mechanics focuses on the atomic structure of matter and the interactions between material objects. Vol. 2, Electric & Magnetic Interactions emphasizes the concepts of electric and magnetic fields and extends the study of the atomic structure of matter to include the role of electrons.
Matter and Interactions, 3rd Edition is available in 2 Volumes:
- ISBN 978-0-470-50345-4
Matter and Interactions, 3rd Edition, Matter & Interactions Volume 1 3e.
- ISBN 978-0-470-50346-1
Matter and Interactions, 3rd Edition, Matter & Interactions Volume 2 3e.
1 Interactions and Motion 1
2 The Momentum Principle 48
3 The Fundamental Interactions 95
4 Contact Interactions 138
5 Rate of Change of Momentum 178
6 The Energy Principle 220
7 Internal Energy 288
8 Energy Quantization 326
9 Multiparticle Systems 347
10 Collisions 382
11 Angular Momentum 414
12 Entropy: Limits on the Possible 472
13 Gases and Engines 512
VO L U M E I I Electric and Magnetic Interactions
14 Electric Field 553
15 Electric Fields and Matter 584
16 Electric Field of Distributed Charges 628
17 Electric Potential 664
18 Magnetic Field 710
19 Electric Field and Circuits 751
20 Circuit Elements 793
21 Magnetic Force 835
22 Patterns of Field in Space 898
23 Faraday’s Law 948
24 Electromagnetic Radiation 986
25 Waves and Particles 1041 ?
- Online Homework- Most of the end-of-chapter problems are available for assignment with the WebAssign on-line homework system.
- Instructor Solutions Manual- The new edition is accompanied by a complete instructor solutions manual.
- More exercises and problems at the end of each chapter including more numerical examples to complement the symbolic ones.
- Improvements in the treatments of computational modeling, angular momentum, the effect of electric fields on matter, and electromagnetic radiation.
- New section on geometric optics in Chapter 24.
- Improved Design- The production values have been upgraded to make the text more student-friendly.
- Full Color- Helps clarify many diagrams and allows examples to stand out more clearly.
- Modeling: The text places a major emphasis on constructing and using physical models . A central aspect of science is the modeling of complex real-world phenomena. A physical model is based on fundamental principles; its intent is to predict or explain the most important aspects of an actual situation.
- Computer Modeling: Computer modeling is now as important as theory and experiment in contemporary science and engineering. Computer modeling is introduced right away to help build a strong foundation in the use of this important tool.
- Experiments Using Simple Equipment: Some end-of-chapter problems involve experiments using simple equipment such as weights, string, coffee filters, scotch tape, etc. By experimenting with very simple equipment, students can gain insight into rather deep scientific issues.
- Active Learning: Stop and Think questions are interspersed throughout the reading to encourage students to engage the material more deeply.
- Lab Activities- There is a complete set of lab activities that were written specifically for a Matter & Interactions-style course.