Microscale Organic Laboratory: with Multistep and Multiscale Syntheses, 5th Edition
January 2010, ©2011
Chapter 2 Safety.
Chapter 3 Introduction to Microscale Organic Laboratory Equipment and Techniques.
Chapter 4 Determination of Physical Properties.
Chapter 5 Microscale Laboratory Techniques.
Chapter 6 Microscale Organic Laboratory Experiments.
Chapter 7 Sequential Syntheses: The Transition from Macro to Micro.
Chapter 8 Spectroscopic Identification of Organic Compounds.
Chapter 9 Qualitative Identification of Organic Compounds.
- A key change to the 5th edition is the modification of the procedural sections to allow for inquiry-based experimentation. Reaction times have been replaced with guidelines, and options on how to best monitor reactions are left to the discretion of the student or instructor. Many ideas and new approaches can stem from this change – for example, instructional sections can be split into small groups and each group can approach the monitoring of a reaction differently. Students can then compare notes at the end of the lab period and discuss the various approaches and end results. It is the goal of the authors that this change will allow the lab to become a more interactive experience between groups of students, should that be the wish of the instructor. The opportunity to monitor a reaction rather than assume reaction completion by simply following a time-based instruction empowers the student and adds an element of excitement to the lab experience.
- The use of microwave heating as a tool in synthetic organic chemistry is fast-growing and is becoming an enabling technology. Optional instructions have been added to experiments to allow for the integration of microwave heating as a tool for performing reactions, allowing for shorter reaction times, higher product yields, and enhanced selectivity. Since reaction times are so much shorter than when conventional heating methods are used, students can be introduced to chemistry that would have otherwise been inaccessible because the experiment may have taken too long to be performed within one lab period. Optional microwave heating instructions have been added to experiments 7, 8, 15, 22, and 30.
- A rich collection of end of chapter exercises and the addition of pre and post lab questions provides students with the valuable opportunity to test and practice their own understanding of each laboratory experiment.
- Discussion sections that appear at the beginning of each Experiment have been added, revised, and expanded upon. These discussion sections provide chemical context/background for each experiment, and provide more information regarding the chemical principles involved in each experimental procedure.
- Chapter 10, “Advanced Microscale Organic Laboratory Experiments”, (formerly chapter 7) has been moved to the book companion web site: http://www.wiley.com/college/mayo..
- Experiments have been thoroughly tested on several generations of students and are cost effective. Working within a microscale framework, the cost of equipment and reagents is kept low, and experiments do not require the use of or disposal of toxic chemicals.
- Background information given with the reactions brings a rich historical perspective to the student, which adds to the excitement of discovery and provides added motivation to master the fundamental techniques employed in the laboratory.
- Experiments offer strong instrumental focus – the student is responsible for generating most of his or her own data, therefore students learn to become self-reliant.
- Provides instruction on microscale techniques for the professional research lab as well as the college classroom setting. These techniques are especially compatible in settings in which homegrown lab experiments are utilized.
This lab manual allows the flexibility of creating one's own scaling sequence without being tied to prescribed set of quantities.