Psychology Around Us
January 2010, ©2011
Almost every chapter within this first edition helps open students minds to comprehend the big picture with sections that highlight how the different fields of psychology are connected to each other and how they connect to everyday life. This text highlights human development, brain function, abnormal psychology, and the individual differences in each area as cut-across themes to demonstrate these connections. Also included are two-page art spreads to demonstrate exactly What Happens In The Brain When we engage in everyday activities such as eat pizza, study psychology, or listen to music. The art featured in these spreads have been created especially for Psychology Around Us by an award-winning artist with input from faculty on how it will contribute to teaching and learning.
This program consists of the textbook available through WileyFLEX in a print or digital format that suits you and your students and WileyPLUS, an online teaching and learning that integrates the entire digital textbook with the most effective instructor and student resources to fit every learning style. For more details, please preview www.wiley.com//college/wileyflex/
Chapter 2 Psychology as a Science.
Chapter 3 Human Development.
Chapter 4 Neuroscience.
Chapter 5 Sensation and Perception.
Chapter 6 Consciousness.
Chapter 7 Learning.
Chapter 8 Memory.
Chapter 9 Language and Thought.
Chapter 10 Intelligence.
Chapter 11 Motivation.
Chapter 12 Emotion.
Chapter 13 Personality.
Chapter 14 Social Psychology.
Chapter 15 Stress, Coping, and Health.
Chapter 16 Psychological Disorders and Their Treatments.
• Cut Across Connections
Almost every chapter helps students comprehend the big picture with sections that highlight how the different fields of psychology are connected to each other and how they connect to everyday life. The authors highlight human development, brain function, abnormal psychology, and the individual differences that occur in each area as cut-across themes to demonstrate these connections.
• What Happens in the Brain When…
These two-page art spreads demonstrate exactly what happens in the brain when we engage in everyday activities such as eating pizza, studying psychology, or listening to music. The special art featured in these spreads is created especially for Psychology Around Us by an award-winning artist with input from instructors like you on how it can contribute to teaching and learning.
• Chapter Opening Vignettes
Every chapter begins with a vignette that shows the power of psychology in understanding a whole range of human behavior. This theme is reinforced throughout the chapter, celebrating the extraordinary processes that make the everyday possible.
• Guided Learning
- A Learning Objective for each chapter section identifies the most important material for students to understand while reading that section. These learning objectives also serve as the driving principle in WileyPLUS.
- Following each section is a Before You Go On feature that helps students check their mastery of the important items covered.
- What Do You Know? questions prompt students to stop and review the key concepts just presented.
- What Do You Think? questions encourage students to think critically on key questions in the chapter.
• Special topics on psychology around us
Each chapter highlights interesting news stories, current controversies in psychology, and relevant research findings that demonstrate psychology around us. The Practically Speaking box emphasizes the practical application of everyday psychology.
• Helpful study tools…
- Key Terms are listed at the end of each chapter with page references.
- Marginal Definitions are defined in the margin next to their discussion in the text.
- Marginal Notes present interesting facts and quotes throughout the chapter.
• Chapter Summary
The end-of-chapter Summary reviews the main concepts presented in the chapter with reference to the specific Learning Objectives. It provides students with another opportunity to review what they have learned as well as to see how the key topics within the chapter fit together.
- Wiley E-Texts are powered by VitalSource technologies e-book software.
- With Wiley E-Texts you can access your e-book how and where you want to study: Online, Download and Mobile.
- Wiley e-texts are non-returnable and non-refundable.
- WileyPLUS registration codes are NOT included with the Wiley E-Text. For informationon WileyPLUS, click here .
- To learn more about Wiley e-texts, please refer to our FAQ.
- E-books are offered as e-Pubs or PDFs. To download and read them, users must install Adobe Digital Editions (ADE) on their PC.
- E-books have DRM protection on them, which means only the person who purchases and downloads the e-book can access it.
- E-books are non-returnable and non-refundable.
- To learn more about our e-books, please refer to our FAQ.