Guided Inquiry Experiments for General Chemistry: Practical Problems and Applications, 1st Edition
October 2007, ©2008
Unit 2. Stoichiometry.
Unit 3. Solutions, Atomic Structure, and Periodicity.
Unit 4. Reactivity and Periodicity.
Unit 5. Gases.
Unit 6. Thermochemistry.
Unit 7. Structure and Property Relationships.
Unit 8. Equilibrium.
Unit 9. Acids and Bases.
Unit 10. Oxidation and Reduction.
Unit 11. Electrochemistry.
Unit 12. Kinetics.
Approach encourages scientific thinking which closely reflects what occurs in scientific research
- Stresses the skills associated with the processes of science that research scientists’ use
- Enhances students’ thinking skills and understanding of key chemical concepts within a practical problem-solving context
- Based on accepted educational theory that students construct their knowledge from involvement, experience, and models
- Details are streamlined in later experiments to promote active learning
“I like the added real-world framework. The Extensions/Application sections are excellent, and would I think have a very positive impact on learning.”
Roderick M. Macrae,
“This is a great way to teach lab to general chemistry students. It emphasizes a more realistic way in which a scientific problem is approached, and requires students to think, interpret and draw conclusions from data they obtained.”
“I believe that students would be the real winners in a laboratory approach like this. They get to see the relationships and develop an understanding of the content rather than just memorize information. The approach is truly making the lab an extension of the lecture. They are not just validation labs which in my opinion are the least effective means of teaching.”
“This type of inquiry-based chemical laboratory experimentation will improve student’s thinking and problem solving skills. It will also give them a sense of accomplishment when they complete a lab and its report especially is they must pretend that they are part of a company team and must make an oral/written report with supported recommendations to the group.”
“This project is well thought-out, well-organized, and high quality. It is clear that the authors took the time to carefully design and test these labs. The risk you run with this material is that users who are not familiar with guided-inquiry instruction might be tempted to “improve” the labs by making ill-considered changes and additions. With a properly documented lab manual, the authors can take advantage of a valuable opportunity to educate their peers and help promote increased acceptance of the method.”
- Wiley E-Texts are powered by VitalSource technologies e-book software.
- With Wiley E-Texts you can access your e-book how and where you want to study: Online, Download and Mobile.
- Wiley e-texts are non-returnable and non-refundable.
- WileyPLUS registration codes are NOT included with the Wiley E-Text. For informationon WileyPLUS, click here .
- To learn more about Wiley e-texts, please refer to our FAQ.
- E-books are offered as e-Pubs or PDFs. To download and read them, users must install Adobe Digital Editions (ADE) on their PC.
- E-books have DRM protection on them, which means only the person who purchases and downloads the e-book can access it.
- E-books are non-returnable and non-refundable.
- To learn more about our e-books, please refer to our FAQ.