Understanding Abnormal Child Psychology, 2nd Edition
April 2007, ©2008
1. Conceptualizations in Normality and Abnormality in Children and Adolescents.
2. Theories of Abnormality in Children and Adolescents.
3. Research Methods in the Study of Developmental Psychopathology.
4. Assessment and Treatment of Emotional/Behavioral Problems in Children, Adolescents and Families.
Risk and Protective Factors.
5. Risk Factors and Issues of Prevention.
6. Protective Factors and Issues of Prevention.
7. Mood Disorders.
8. Anxiety Disorders.
9. Attention Deficit/Hyperactivity Disorder.
10. Disruptive Disorders.
11. Substance Use, Abuse, and Dependence.
12. Pervasive Developmental Disorders and Schizophrenia.
13. Learning Disorders and Mental Retardation.
14. Pediatric Psychology and Health Psychology for Children and Adolescents.
Applying What You've Learned.
15. How You Can Help Children.
Additional emphasis has been placed on developmental disabilities and mental retardation.
Additional information highlighted in a number of areas, including the new Individuals with Disabilities Act in Education (IDEA), childhood obesity, binge eating disorder, new nation-wide outcome studies for the treatment of attention deficit/hyperactivity disorder (ADHD) and depression, multicultural issues, young children and feeding disorders, and the parent-child relationship.
Current controversies and issues receiving a great deal of media attention are included, such as the use of antidepressant medication with youth and the controversies associated with the diagnosis of ADHD and bipolar disorder.
New! “You Decide” - intended to help students remain engaged in critical thinking and relevant material - students are provided with research data on a “hot topic” regarding children and invited to make up their minds on the topic.
- Highlighted sections help students to see the commonalities and differences of abnormal child behavior within a cross-cultural and international context.
- Case studies and stories about children, adolescents, and families throughout apply the scholarly literature to real life.
- Readings and films suggestions at the end of each chapter for first-hand accounts of abnormal child psychology.
- Wiley E-Texts are powered by VitalSource technologies e-book software.
- With Wiley E-Texts you can access your e-book how and where you want to study: Online, Download and Mobile.
- Wiley e-texts are non-returnable and non-refundable.
- WileyPLUS registration codes are NOT included with the Wiley E-Text. For informationon WileyPLUS, click here .
- To learn more about Wiley e-texts, please refer to our FAQ.
- E-books are offered as e-Pubs or PDFs. To download and read them, users must install Adobe Digital Editions (ADE) on their PC.
- E-books have DRM protection on them, which means only the person who purchases and downloads the e-book can access it.
- E-books are non-returnable and non-refundable.
- To learn more about our e-books, please refer to our FAQ.