Beneath the Mask: An Introduction to Theories of Personality, 8th Edition
January 2008, ©2009
John P. Wilson has revised the text in a manner that preserves and improves upon the best features of the late Robert N. Sollod and Christopher Monte's work.
2. Sigmund Freud / Psychoanalysis: The Clinical Evidence.
3. Sigmund Freud / Psychoanalysis: The Dynamic Model of the Mind.
4. Alfred Adler / Individual Psychology.
5. Carl Gustav Jung / Analytical Psychology.
6. Anna Freud / Widening the Scope of Psychoanalysis: Ego Psychology.
7. Melanie Klein & D.W. Winnicott / The Psychoanalytic Heritage: Object Relations Theory.
8. Erik Homburger Erikson / Psychoanalytic Ego Psychology: The Centrality of Identity.
9. Harry Stack Sullivan / Interpersonal Theory.
10. Karen Horney / Psychoanalytic Social Psychology.
11. Gordon W. Allport / Humanistic Trait and Self Theory.
12. Rollo May / Existential Phenomenology.
13. Abraham Maslow & Carl Rogers / Humanistic Self-Actualization Theory.
14. George A. Kelly / Personal Construct Theory.
15. Albert Bandura / Social Cognitive Theory.
16. Hans Eysenck / Biologically Based Typology.
17. Edward O. Wilson / Evolutionary Psychology.
- Dates and places of the major theorists' births and deaths are listed at the beginning of each chapter.
- Only Connect Boxes included in most chapters point out connections between the ideas of one theorist and other ideas, usually of other theorists.
- Glossaries of terms and concepts have been included for each chapter. Terms are defined as used by the theorist or theories emphasized in each chapter.
- Each chapter features an examination of the strong and weak points of each theory, giving students a more comprehensive and critical view of where each theory fits in the study of personality.
- The authors emphasize each theorist's life history as the basis for the ideas that constitute his or her theories, making them viewable as