Computer Architecture and Organization: An Integrated Approach
March 2007, ©2007
2. Data Representation.
4. The Instruction Set Architecture.
5. Datapath and Control.
6. Languages and the Machine.
8. Buses and Peripherals.
9. Networking and Communication.
10. Advanced Computer Architecture.
Appendix A: Digital Logic.
Appendix B: Using ARCTools.
VINCE HEURING is an associate professor and acting chair of the Department of Electrical and Computer Engineering at the University of Colorado at Boulder. He has been at the university since 1984, and prior to that he spent three years at the University of Cincinnati. Professor Heuring’s research encompasses computer architectures and programming language design implementation. He and his colleague, Harry Jordan, designed and built the world’s first stored program optical computer, “SPOC.”
- The content addresses the core fundamental topics without spending too much time on hardware related issues
- Each topic is covered in the context of the entire machine allowing students to see how implementation affects behavior.
- More software type issues like networking are included as a continuing thread.
- Motivate students with real world examples in each chapter
- Some cases are: “Patriot Missile Defense failure caused by loss of precision”, “What happens when a computer boots up?” and “How a virus infects a machine”
Feature boxes cover commercial processors
- Students learn about Intel and Motorola processors which dominate the industry
Uses subset of SPARC, grounded in a real-world computer architecture tool for instruction set architecture throughout the text
- A RISC Computer (ARC) is complemented with platform-independent software tools
- ARCTools suite is fully class-tested and supports the examples used in the book
- Wiley E-Texts are powered by VitalSource technologies e-book software.
- With Wiley E-Texts you can access your e-book how and where you want to study: Online, Download and Mobile.
- Wiley e-texts are non-returnable and non-refundable.
- WileyPLUS registration codes are NOT included with the Wiley E-Text. For informationon WileyPLUS, click here .
- To learn more about Wiley e-texts, please refer to our FAQ.
- E-books are offered as e-Pubs or PDFs. To download and read them, users must install Adobe Digital Editions (ADE) on their PC.
- E-books have DRM protection on them, which means only the person who purchases and downloads the e-book can access it.
- E-books are non-returnable and non-refundable.
- To learn more about our e-books, please refer to our FAQ.