Introduction to Personality: Toward an Integrative Science of the Person, 8th Edition
September 2007, ©2008
In this new edition the focus is placed on distilling how findings at each of the six major levels of analysis of personality (trait-disposition, biological, psychodynamic-motivational, behavioral-conditioning, phenomenological-humanistic, and social-cognitive) still speak to and inform each other, and how they add to the current state of the science and its continuing growth.
1. Orientation to Personality.
2. Data, Methods, and Tools.
Part I The Trait-Dispositional Level.
3. Types and Traits.
4. The Expressions of Dispositions.
Part II The Biological Level.
5. Heredity and Personality.
6. Brain, Evolution, and Personality.
Part III The Psychodynamic-Motivational Level.
7. Psychodynamic Theories: Freud's Conceptions.
8. Psychodynamic Applications and Processes.
9. Post-Freudian Psychodynamics.
Part IV The Behavioral-Conditioning Level.
10. Behavioral Conceptions.
11. Analyzing and Modifying Behavior.
Part V The Phenomenological-Humanistic Level.
12. Phenomenological-Humanistic Conceptions.
13. The Internal View.
Part VI The Social Cognitive Level.
14. Social Cognitive Conceptions.
15. Social Cognitive Processes.
Part VII Integration of Levels: The Person as a Whole.
16. The Personality System: Integrating the Levels.
17. Self-Regulation: From Goal Pursuit to Goal Attainment.
18. Personality in its Social Context and Culture.
- This extensive revision includes more than 25 percent of fresh material. The text has been updated and reorganized to reflect the continuing growth and transformation of personality psychology.
- Focus on distilling how findings at each of the 6 major levels of analysis of personality still speak to and inform each other, and how they add to the current state of the science and its growth.
- Three fresh, integrative chapters focus on the contemporary scene and demonstrate relations among all the levels for gaining a rich sense of the personality system and the person as a whole.
- Variety of features are used to help students see the interplay among the insights obtained at the six major levels of analysis.
- Continued and expanded Focus Questions, designed to facilitate active processing of content by the reader and to function as study guide and retrieval cues.
- Wiley E-Texts are powered by VitalSource technologies e-book software.
- With Wiley E-Texts you can access your e-book how and where you want to study: Online, Download and Mobile.
- Wiley e-texts are non-returnable and non-refundable.
- WileyPLUS registration codes are NOT included with the Wiley E-Text. For informationon WileyPLUS, click here .
- To learn more about Wiley e-texts, please refer to our FAQ.
- E-books are offered as e-Pubs or PDFs. To download and read them, users must install Adobe Digital Editions (ADE) on their PC.
- E-books have DRM protection on them, which means only the person who purchases and downloads the e-book can access it.
- E-books are non-returnable and non-refundable.
- To learn more about our e-books, please refer to our FAQ.