Introduction to Personality: Toward an Integrative Science of the Person, 8th Edition
September 2007, ©2008
In this new edition the focus is placed on distilling how findings at each of the six major levels of analysis of personality (trait-disposition, biological, psychodynamic-motivational, behavioral-conditioning, phenomenological-humanistic, and social-cognitive) still speak to and inform each other, and how they add to the current state of the science and its continuing growth.
CHAPTER 1 ORIENTATION TO PERSONALITY 1
CHAPTER 2 DATA, METHODS, AND TOOLS 19
PART I THE TRAIT-DISPOSITIONAL LEVEL
CHAPTER 3 TYPES AND TRAITS 45
CHAPTER 4 THE EXPRESSIONS OF DISPOSITIONS 72
PART II THE BIOLOGICAL LEVEL
CHAPTER 5 HEREDITY AND PERSONALITY 95
CHAPTER 6 BRAIN, EVOLUTION, AND PERSONALITY 124
PART III THE PSYCHODYNAMIC MOTIVATIONAL LEVEL
CHAPTER 7 PSYCHODYNAMIC THEORIES: FREUD’S CONCEPTIONS 155
CHAPTER 8 PSYCHODYNAMIC APPLICATIONS AND PROCESSES 177
CHAPTER 9 POST-FREUDIAN PSYCHODYNAMICS 209
PART IV THE BEHAVIORAL-CONDITIONING LEVEL
CHAPTER 10 BEHAVIORAL CONCEPTIONS 245
CHAPTER 11 ANALYZING AND MODIFYING BEHAVIOR 270
PART V THE PHENOMENOLOGICAL HUMANISTIC LEVEL
CHAPTER 12 PHENOMENOLOGICAL-HUMANISTIC CONCEPTIONS 297
CHAPTER 13 THE INTERNAL VIEW 323
PART VI THE SOCIAL COGNITIVE LEVEL
CHAPTER 14 SOCIAL COGNITIVE CONCEPTIONS 349
CHAPTER 15 SOCIAL COGNITIVE PROCESSES 379
PART VII INTEGRATION OF LEVELS: THE PERSON AS A WHOLE
CHAPTER 16 THE PERSONALITY SYSTEM: INTEGRATING THE LEVELS 409
CHAPTER 17 SELF-REGULATION: FROM GOAL PURSUIT TO GOAL ATTAINMENT 437
CHAPTER 18 PERSONALITY IN ITS SOCIAL CONTEXT AND CULTURE 466
NAME INDEX 549
SUBJECT INDEX 559
- This extensive revision includes more than 25 percent of fresh material. The text has been updated and reorganized to reflect the continuing growth and transformation of personality psychology.
- Focus on distilling how findings at each of the 6 major levels of analysis of personality still speak to and inform each other, and how they add to the current state of the science and its growth.
- Three fresh, integrative chapters focus on the contemporary scene and demonstrate relations among all the levels for gaining a rich sense of the personality system and the person as a whole.
- Variety of features are used to help students see the interplay among the insights obtained at the six major levels of analysis.
- Continued and expanded Focus Questions, designed to facilitate active processing of content by the reader and to function as study guide and retrieval cues.
- Wiley E-Texts are powered by VitalSource and accessed via the VitalSource Bookshelf reader, available online and via a downloadable app.
- Wiley E-Texts are accessible online and offline, and can be read on a variety of devices, including smartphones and tablets.
- Wiley E-Texts are non-returnable and non-refundable.
- Wiley E-Texts are protected by DRM. For specific DRM policies, please refer to our FAQ.
- WileyPLUS registration codes are NOT included with any Wiley E-Text. For informationon WileyPLUS, click here .
- To learn more about Wiley E-Texts, please refer to our FAQ.
- E-books are offered as e-Pubs or PDFs. To download and read them, users must install Adobe Digital Editions (ADE) on their PC.
- E-books have DRM protection on them, which means only the person who purchases and downloads the e-book can access it.
- E-books are non-returnable and non-refundable.
- To learn more about our e-books, please refer to our FAQ.