Introduction to Finite Element Analysis and Design
October 2008, ©2009
Introduction to Finite Element Analysis and Design introduces the basic concepts so that students can use this method efficiently and interpret the results properly. In order to establish a common ground before presenting the theoretical aspects of FEM, the text first reviews concepts in mathematics and mechanics of materials that are prerequisite. Through practical applications, the concepts of FEM are illustrated in the main text, while examples using four different commercial programs appear in the Appendix; the concepts can be introduced in the general finite element theory, and practice can be carried out using different programs, based on individual preference. The following programs are supported: MATLAB, ANSYS, ABAQUS, NASTRAN, and Pro/Engineer.
0. Mathematical Preliminaries
1. Stress-Strain Analysis
2. Uniaxial Bar and Truss Elements - Direct Method
3. Weighted Residual and Energy Methods for One Dimensional Problems
4. Finite Element Analysis of Beams and Frames
5. Finite Elements for Heat Transfer Problems
6. Finite Elements for Plane Solids
7. Finite Element Procedure and Modeling
8. Structural Design Using Finite Elements
Appendix A - Finite Element Analysis Using PRO/ENGINEER
Appendix B - Finite Element Analysis Using NEINASTRAN
Appendix C - Finite Element Analysis Using ANSYS
Appendix D - Finite Element Analysis Using MATLAB Toolbox
Prerequisites (mathematics, stress-strain analysis, and design criteria) are included in the early part of the book so that students can have common backgrounds
Emphasizes the design aspect of FEM with nine design projects and a dedicated chapter on design using FEM
Provides practical applications of FEM to engineering design, and is balanced between theory and application
Includes tutorials and examples of various commercial finite element programs: instructor can choose program based on his/her preference
Includes student version of NEiNastran software: students can experience a state-of-the-art FEM software free of charge
Textbook website maintained to make tutorials and examples concurrent with the most recent version of commercial software, which is updated once a year
- Wiley E-Texts are powered by VitalSource technologies e-book software.
- With Wiley E-Texts you can access your e-book how and where you want to study: Online, Download and Mobile.
- Wiley e-texts are non-returnable and non-refundable.
- WileyPLUS registration codes are NOT included with the Wiley E-Text. For informationon WileyPLUS, click here .
- To learn more about Wiley e-texts, please refer to our FAQ.
- E-books are offered as e-Pubs or PDFs. To download and read them, users must install Adobe Digital Editions (ADE) on their PC.
- E-books have DRM protection on them, which means only the person who purchases and downloads the e-book can access it.
- E-books are non-returnable and non-refundable.
- To learn more about our e-books, please refer to our FAQ.