Physical Chemistry, 4th Edition
July 2004, ©2005
Now revised and updated, this Fourth Edition of Physical Chemistry by Silbey, Alberty, and Bawendi continues to present exceptionally clear explanations of concepts and methods. The basic theory of chemistry is presented from the viewpoint of academic physical chemists, but detailed discussions of practical applications are integrated throughout. The problems in the book also skillfully blend theory and applications.
Highlights of the Fourth Edition:
- A total of 170 computer problems appropriate for MATHEMATICATM, MATHCADTM, MATLABTM, or MAPLETM.
- Increased emphasis on the thermodynamics and kinetics of biochemical reactions, including the denaturation of proteins and nucleic acids.
- Expanded coverage of the uses of statistical mechanics, nuclear magnetic relaxation, nanoscience, and oscillating chemical reactions.
- Many new tables and figures throughout the text.
1. Zeroth Law of Thermodynamics and Equations of State.
2. First Law of Thermodynamics.
3. Second and Third Laws of Thermodynamics.
4. Fundamental Equations of Thermodynamics.
5. Chemical Equilibrium.
6. Phase Equilibrium.
7. Electrochemical Equilibrium.
8. Thermodynamics of Biochemical Reactions.
PART TWO: QUANTUM CHEMISTRY.
9. Quantum Theory.
10. Atomic Structure.
11. Molecular Electronic Structure.
13. Rotational and Vibrational Spectroscopy.
14. Electronic Spectroscopy of Molecules.
15. Magnetic Resonan ce Spectroscopy.
16. Statistical Mechanics.
PART THREE: KINETICS.<\b>
17. Kinetic Theory of Gases.
18. Experimental Kinetics and Gas Reactions.
19. Chemical Dynamics and Photochemisty.
20. Kinetics in the Liquid Phase.
PART FOUR: MACROSCOPIC AND MICROSCOPIC STRUCTURES.
22. Electric and Magnetic Properties of Molecules.
23. Solid State Chemistry.
24. Surface Dynamics.
Appendix A: Physical Quantuties and Units.
Appendix B: Values of Physical Constants.
Appendix C: Tables of Physical Chemical Data.
Appendix D: Mathematical Relations.
Appendix E: Greek Alphabet.
Appendix F: Useful Information on the Web.
Appendix G: Symbols for Physical Quantities and Their SI Units.
Appendix H: Answers to the First Set of Problems.
- Increased emphasis on the thermodynamics and kinetics of biochemical reactions including the denaturation of proteins and nucleic acids.
Expanded coverage of the uses of statistical mechanics, nuclear magnetic relaxation, nanoscience, and oscillating chemical reactions.
- Problems requiring MATHEMATICA, MATHCAD, MATLAB, or MAPLE are integrated throughout the text. These problems enhance understanding by enabling the student to visualize as well as to compute. The use of these computer tools makes it possible to undertake problems that were previously too difficult or too time consuming, such as two- and three-dimensional plots, integration and differentiation of complicated functions, and solving differential equations.
“Key Ideas in This Chapter” sections highlight the main ideas and offer supporting statements.
Updated research examples are integrated throughout the text.
Extensive mathematical appendices are included.
- Wiley E-Texts are powered by VitalSource technologies e-book software.
- With Wiley E-Texts you can access your e-book how and where you want to study: Online, Download and Mobile.
- Wiley e-texts are non-returnable and non-refundable.
- WileyPLUS registration codes are NOT included with the Wiley E-Text. For informationon WileyPLUS, click here .
- To learn more about Wiley e-texts, please refer to our FAQ.
- E-books are offered as e-Pubs or PDFs. To download and read them, users must install Adobe Digital Editions (ADE) on their PC.
- E-books have DRM protection on them, which means only the person who purchases and downloads the e-book can access it.
- E-books are non-returnable and non-refundable.
- To learn more about our e-books, please refer to our FAQ.