Digital Media Tools, 3rd Edition
December 2007, ©2007
Digital Media Tools is designed to be the perfect practical companion text to the authors’ latest course Web Design: A Complete Introduction.
This edition brings this very successful book up to date and provides information on the latest versions of Photoshop, Flash, Illustrator and Dreamweaver, along with new coverage of Bridge. This 3rd edition introduces a wide range of new teaching and learning features both in the book itself and on the new supporting Web site www.digitalmediatools.org
Teaching and Learning Features.
Supporting Web Site.
Safe Working with Digital Media Tools.
2 Interface Basics.
Menus and Commands.
Panel Groups and Docks.
Options Bar, Control and Properties Panels.
Automating Repetitive Tasks.
Rulers and Grids.
The Browser Window.
The Default View.
Navigation and File Operations.
File and Folder Operations.
Interacting with Other Programs.
Ratings, Labels and Keywords.
Filtering and Sorting.
Opening and Importing Images.
Saving and Exporting.
Modes and Colour Spaces.
Making and Using Selections.
Marquee Selection and Cropping.
Selecting by Colour.
Combining and Transforming Selections.
Selecting and Extracting Objects.
Adjustments and Retouching.
Retouching by Hand.
Effects and Filters.
Blurring and Sharpening.
Artistic Filters and Distortion.
Layer Effects and Layer Styles.
The Paintbrush and Pencil.
The Brushes Panel.
Selecting with Brushes.
The Animation Panel.
Animating Layer Properties.
Stroke and Fill.
Complex Fills and Strokes.
Effects, Filters and Styles.
The Appearance Panel.
Symbols and Instances.
Symbol Sets and the Symbolism Tools.
Symbols and 3D.
Combining Bitmaps and Vector Art.
Manipulating Bitmapped Images.
Documents and Movies.
The Stage and the Timeline.
Transformations and Reshaping.
Animating One Frame at a Time.
Sound and Video.
Web Pages and Sites.
Formatting Web Pages.
Structure and Appearance.
Displaying and Editing Rules.
Creating CSS Rules.
CSS and Layout.
Flash Movies and Video.
The Spry Framework.
Local and Remote Sites.
Assets and Templates.
8 Shared Concepts.
Colour Models and Modes.
Web Image Files.
Optimizing for the Web.
Nigel Chapman was a Senior Lecturer in Computer Science at University College London until he became a full-time freelance writer and Web developer.
Jenny Chapman is an award-winning animation and video artist, Web designer and visiting Lecturer in new media animation at Edinburgh College of Art.
New edition is completely re-written and re-illustrated to cover the latest (CS3) versions of major software.
Approachable and clear introduction to complex tools, written with the student in mind.
Not based on copycat workthroughs (unlike the competition) but teaches both principles and practice properly. Based on authors’ own practical expertise with these tools combined with their experience of teaching them in a college environment.
Teaches through doing, with extensive practical “Try This” exercises and completely new “Don’t Forget” key points throughout. All fully supported on brand new web site with wide range of free teaching and learning materials: www.digitalmediatools.org
Breadth of coverage of leading Adobe CS3 applications:
- Wiley E-Texts are powered by VitalSource and accessed via the VitalSource Bookshelf reader, available online and via a downloadable app.
- Wiley E-Texts are accessible online and offline, and can be read on a variety of devices, including smartphones and tablets.
- Wiley E-Texts are non-returnable and non-refundable.
- Wiley E-Texts are protected by DRM. For specific DRM policies, please refer to our FAQ.
- WileyPLUS registration codes are NOT included with any Wiley E-Text. For informationon WileyPLUS, click here .
- To learn more about Wiley E-Texts, please refer to our FAQ.
- E-books are offered as e-Pubs or PDFs. To download and read them, users must install Adobe Digital Editions (ADE) on their PC.
- E-books have DRM protection on them, which means only the person who purchases and downloads the e-book can access it.
- E-books are non-returnable and non-refundable.
- To learn more about our e-books, please refer to our FAQ.