Essential Mathematics and Statistics for Science, 2nd Edition
June 2009, ©2009
The revision of the material in the book has been matched, on the accompanying website, with the extensive use of video, providing worked answers to over 200 questions in the book plus additional tutorial support. The second edition has also improved the learning approach for key topic areas to make it even more accessible and user-friendly, making it a perfect resource for students of all abilities. The expanding website provides a wide range of support material, providing a study environment within which students can develop their independent learning skills, in addition to providing resources that can be used by tutors for integration into other science-based programmes.
On-line Learning Support
1 Mathematics and Statistics in Science
1.1 Data and Information
1.2 Experimental Variation and Uncertainty
1.3 Mathematical Models in Science
2 Scientific Data
2.1 Scientific Numbers
2.2 Scientific Quantities
2.3 Chemical Quantities
2.4 Angular Measurements
3 Equations in Science
3.1 Basic Techniques
3.2 Rearranging Simple Equations
3.4 Further Equations
3.5 Quadratic and Simultaneous Equations
4 Linear Relationships
4.1 Straight Line Graph
4.2 Linear Regression
5 Logarithmic and Exponential Functions
5.1 Mathematics of e, ln and log
5.2 Exponential Growth and Decay
6 Rates of Change
6.1 Rate of Change
7 Statistics for Science
7.1 Analysing Replicate Data
7.2 Describing and Estimating
7.3 Frequency Statistics
7.5 Factorials, Permutations and Combinations
8 Distributions and Uncertainty
8.1 Normal Distribution
8.2 Uncertainties in Measurement
8.3 Presenting Uncertainty
8.4 Binomial and Poisson Distributions
9 Scientific Investigation
9.1 Scientific Systems
9.2 The ‘Scientific Method’
9.3 Decision Making with Statistics
9.4 Hypothesis Testing
9.5 Selecting Analyses and Tests
10 t -tests and F-tests
10.1 One-sample t -tests
10.2 Two-sample t -tests
10.3 Paired t -tests
11 ANOVA – Analysis of Variance
11.1 One-way ANOVA
11.2 Two-way ANOVA
11.3 Two-way ANOVA with Replication
11.4 ANOVA Post Hoc Testing
12 Non-parametric Tests for Medians
12.1 One-sample Wilcoxon Test
12.2 Two-sample Mann–Whitney U-test
12.3 Paired Wilcoxon Test
12.4 Kruskal–Wallis and Friedman Tests
13 Correlation and Regression
13.1 Linear Correlation
13.2 Statistics of Correlation and Regression
13.3 Uncertainty in Linear Calibration
14 Frequency and Proportion
14.1 Chi-squared Contingency Table
14.2 Goodness of Fit
14.3 Tests for Proportion
15 Experimental Design
15.1 Principal Techniques
15.2 Planning a Research Project
Appendix I: Microsoft Excel
Appendix II: Cumulative z -areas for Standard Normal Distribution
Appendix III: Critical Values: t -statistic and Chi-squared, χ2
Appendix IV: Critical F-values at 0.05 (95 %) Significance
Appendix V: Critical Values at 0.05 (95 %) Significance for: Pearson’s Correlation Coefficient, r , Spearman’s Rank Correlation Coefficient, rS, and Wilcoxon Lower Limit, WL
Appendix VI: Mann–Whitney Lower Limit, UL, at 0.05 (95 %) Significance
Short Answers to ‘Q’ Questions
- Additional help for weaker students making text more accessible.
- Moving some sections from the printed book and making them available as pdf downloads onto the web site to help engage students on a more interactive level.
- All existing chapters fully revised and updated to include new literature.
- Website – additional changes have been made and will be revised – to inform students of revised online matieral such as new animated screen captions.
- Applied approach providing mathematics and statistics from the first to final years of undergraduate science courses.
- Second edition substantially revised to improve the learning approach to key topics and the organisation of resources for ease of use in teaching.
- Companion website at www.wiley.com/go/currellmaths2 providing:
- Over 200 videos showing step-by-step workings of problems in the book.
- Additional materials including related topic areas, applications, and tutorials on Excel and Minitab.
- Interactive multiple-choice questions for self-testing, with step-by-step video feedback for any wrong answers.
- A developing resource of study plans for useful topics and applications.
- Figures from the book for downloading.