Applied Statistics for Civil and Environmental Engineers
August 2008, ©2008, Wiley-Blackwell
This book, written by engineers for engineers, tackles the subject in a clear, up-to-date manner using a process-orientated approach. It introduces the subjects of mathematical statistics and probability theory, and then addresses model estimation and testing, regression and multivariate methods, analysis of extreme events, simulation techniques, risk and reliability, and economic decision making.
325 examples and case studies from European and American practice are included and each chapter features realistic problems to be solved.
For the second edition new sections have been added on Monte Carlo Markov chain modeling with details of practical Gibbs sampling, sensitivity analysis and aleatory and epistemic uncertainties, and copulas. Throughout, the text has been revised and modernized.
Preliminary data analysis.
Basic probability concepts.
Random variables and their properties.
Model estimation and testing.
Methods of regression and multivariate analysis.
Frequency analysis of extreme events.
Simulation techniques for design.
Risk and reliability analysis.
Bayesian decision methods and parameter uncertainty.
- Further mathematics
- Glossary of symbols
- Tables of selected distributions
- Brief answers to selected problems
Renzo Rosso has been Professor of Water Engineering at the Politecnico di Milano since 1986. He received a degree in hydraulic engineering from the University of Genoa in 1975 and has conducted research and taught at the National Research Council of Italy, the Universities of Genoa and Florence, the University of Foreigners of Perugia and Colorado State University. He is the author of several books and over one hundred refereed papers. His professional experience includes projects on mitigation of hydrological hazards and water system analysis, planning and design in Europe, Africa and South America.
- Well balanced with theory, examples, references and problems.
- Numerous case studies, examples and problems.
- Covers theories and practical examples not available elsewhere.
- New edition has new sections on Monte Carlo Markov chain modelling, Gibbs samply, sensitivity analysis and aleatory and epistemic uncertainties, and cupolas
- Online solutions manual for text problems available to lecturers
- Wiley E-Texts are powered by VitalSource technologies e-book software.
- With Wiley E-Texts you can access your e-book how and where you want to study: Online, Download and Mobile.
- Wiley e-texts are non-returnable and non-refundable.
- WileyPLUS registration codes are NOT included with the Wiley E-Text. For informationon WileyPLUS, click here .
- To learn more about Wiley e-texts, please refer to our FAQ.
- E-books are offered as e-Pubs or PDFs. To download and read them, users must install Adobe Digital Editions (ADE) on their PC.
- E-books have DRM protection on them, which means only the person who purchases and downloads the e-book can access it.
- E-books are non-returnable and non-refundable.
- To learn more about our e-books, please refer to our FAQ.