Biogeography: An Ecological and Evolutionary Approach, 8th Edition
May 2010, ©2010
This new edition incorporates the exciting changes of the recent years, and presents a thoughtful exploration of the research and controversies that have transformed our understanding of the biogeography of the world.
It also clearly identifies the three quite different arenas of biogeographical research: continental biogeography, island biogeography and marine biogeography. It is the only current textbook with full coverage of marine biogeography.
It reveals how the patterns of life that we see today have been created by the two great Engines of the Planet - the Geological Engine, plate tectonics, which alters the conditions of life on the planet, and the Biological Engine, evolution, which responds to these changes by creating new forms and patterns of life.
1 A History of Biogeography.
2 Patterns of Distribution.
3 Communities and Ecosystems.
4 Patterns of Biodiversity.
5 The Engines of the Planet I: Plate Tectonics.
6 The Engines of the Planet II:Evolution, the Source of Novelty.
7 From Evolution to Patterns of Life.
8 Life,Death,and Evolution on Islands.
9 Drawing Lines in the Water.
10 Living in the Past.
11 The Geography of Life Today.
12 Ice and Change.
13 The Advent of Humanity.
14 Into the Future.
- Updated material with the latest information and explores the most current controversies
- New chapter on plate tectonics
- Many new up-to-date figures and references
· Contains a balanced treatment of continental biogeography, island biogeography and marine biogeography
· Presents students with a sound historical base
· Evaluates conflicting theories and provide a reasoned judgment as to which is preferable
· Deals in depth with continental biogeography, island biogeography and marine biogeography
- Wiley E-Texts are powered by VitalSource technologies e-book software.
- With Wiley E-Texts you can access your e-book how and where you want to study: Online, Download and Mobile.
- Wiley e-texts are non-returnable and non-refundable.
- WileyPLUS registration codes are NOT included with the Wiley E-Text. For informationon WileyPLUS, click here .
- To learn more about Wiley e-texts, please refer to our FAQ.
- E-books are offered as e-Pubs or PDFs. To download and read them, users must install Adobe Digital Editions (ADE) on their PC.
- E-books have DRM protection on them, which means only the person who purchases and downloads the e-book can access it.
- E-books are non-returnable and non-refundable.
- To learn more about our e-books, please refer to our FAQ.