Elementary Linear Algebra: Applications Version, 10th Edition
April 2010, ©2010
A concluding chapter covers twenty applications of linear algebra drawn from business, economics, physics, computer science, ecology, genetics, and other disciplines. The applications are independent and each includes a list of mathematical prerequisites.
This text is available with WileyPLUS.
This online teaching and learning environment integrates the entire digital textbook with the most effective instructor and student resources to fit every learning style. With WileyPLUS:
- Students achieve concept mastery in a rich, structured environment that’s available 24/7
- Instructors personalize and manage their course more effectively with assessment, assignments, grade tracking, and more.
WileyPLUS can complement the textbook or replace the printed text altogether.
CHAPTER 2 DETERMINANTS
CHAPTER 3 EUCLIDEAN VECTOR SPACES
CHAPTER 4 GENERAL VECTOR SPACES
CHAPTER 5 EIGNVALUES AND EIGENVECTORS
CHAPTER 6 INNER PRODUCT SPACES
CHAPTER 7 DIAGONALIZATION AND QUADRATIC FORMS
CHAPTER 8 LINEAR TRANSFORMATIONS
CHAPTER 9 NUMERICAL METHODS
CHAPTER 10 APPLICATIONS OF LINEAR ALGEBRA
- More basic applications are covered throughout
- Section-end Concept Review helps students to review and prepare for exams
- Skills listed at the end of every section are learning objectives that students and professors can use to measure progress
- True/false exercises quickly assess conceptual understanding and logical reasoning
- Chapters 3 and 4 from the 9th are combined to form a single chapter on Euclidean vector spaces, providing more compact coverage and facilitating earlier introduction of general vector spaces
- Eigenvalues and eigenvectors are introduced earlier, in chapter 5, making it easier for instructors who want to spend more time on these important topics
- Chapter 9 focuses on numerical approaches that better reflect current usage of computers
Proof Sketches – Students sharpen their mathematical reasoning skills and understanding of proofs by filling in justifications for proof steps in some exercises.
Emphasizes Visualization – Geometric aspects of various topics are emphasized, to support visual learners, and to provide an additional layer of understanding for all students. The geometric approach naturally leads to contemporary applications of linear algebra in computer graphics that are covered in the text.
Mathematically Sound – Mathematical precision appropriate for mathematics majors is maintained in a book whose explanations and pedagogy meet the needs of engineering, science, and business/economics students.