Applied Statistics and Probability for Engineers, 5th Edition
March 2010, ©2011
With a focus on how statistical tools are integrated into the engineering problem-solving process, all major aspects of engineering statistics are covered, including descriptive statistics, probability and probability distributions, statistical test and confidence intervals for one and two samples, building regression models, designing and analyzing engineering experiments, and statistical process control.
Developed with sponsorship from the National Science Foundation, this text incorporates many insights from the authors' teaching experience along with feedback from numerous adopters of previous editions.
Chapter 1. The Role of Statistics in Engineering.
Chapter 2. Probability.
Chapter 3. Discrete Random Variables and Probability Distributions.
Chapter 4. Continuous Random Variables and Probability Distributions.
Chapter 5. Joint Probability Distributions.
Chapter 6. Descriptive Statistics.
Chapter 7. Sampling Distributions and Point Estimation of Parameters.
Chapter 8. Statistical Intervals for a Single Sample.
Chapter 9. Tests of Hypotheses for a Single Sample.
Chapter 10. Statistical Inference for Two Samples.
Chapter 11. Simple Linear Regression and Correlation.
Chapter 12. Multiple Linear Regression.
Chapter 13. Design and Analysis of Single-Factor Experiments: The Analysis of Variance.
Chapter 14. Design of Experiments with Several Factors.
Chapter 15. Statistical Quality Control.
Appendix A. Statistical Tables and Charts.
Appendix B. Answers to Selected Exercises.
Appendix C. Bibliography.
Index of Applications in Example and Exercises, Continued.
- Nonparametric Statistics is now integrated into mainstream hypothesis testing in Chapters 9 and 10, rather than in a separate chapter (formerly Chapter 15 in the Fourth Edition).
- p-value: increased emphasis on p-value in hypothesis testing,
- Beta distribution has been added
- Practical interpretations: brief comments have been added at the end of many examples to emphasise the practical interpretations of the results.
- New homework problems: 200 new homework problems have been added
- Treatment of all topics is oriented towards real engineering applications. In the probability chapters, the authors do not emphasise counting methods or artificial applications such as gambling.
Real Data, Real Engineering Situations:
Examples and exercises throughout text use real data and real engineering situations. This motivates students to learn new concepts and gives them a taste of practical engineering experience.
- Coverage of probability is lively and interesting. It is complete but concise so as not to take over the content of the entire text.
Regression Modeling, DOE, and SQC:
- An unusually thorough amount of coverage of regression modeling, design of engineering experiments, and statistical process control makes the book useful as a reference for many important topics.
- Wiley E-Texts are powered by VitalSource technologies e-book software.
- With Wiley E-Texts you can access your e-book how and where you want to study: Online, Download and Mobile.
- Wiley e-texts are non-returnable and non-refundable.
- WileyPLUS registration codes are NOT included with the Wiley E-Text. For informationon WileyPLUS, click here .
- To learn more about Wiley e-texts, please refer to our FAQ.
- E-books are offered as e-Pubs or PDFs. To download and read them, users must install Adobe Digital Editions (ADE) on their PC.
- E-books have DRM protection on them, which means only the person who purchases and downloads the e-book can access it.
- E-books are non-returnable and non-refundable.
- To learn more about our e-books, please refer to our FAQ.