Experimental Organic Chemistry
February 2000, ©2000
Experimental Organic Chemistry, is designed for a two semester, sophomore level organic lab course and can be used as a primary text or a valuable reference tool for students. Rather than emphasizing microscale or macroscale, this lab manual focuses on the actual experiments and the learning process by using a multiscale approach. Palleros has great depth and a wide variety of experiments targeting chemistry, pre-med, biochemistry, and molecular biology students.
Recrystallization and Melting Point.
Distillation-Seperation and Purification of Organic Liquids.
High-Performance Liquid Chromatography.
Refractometry and Polarimetry.
Alcohols and Alkenes.
Phenols and Ethers.
Electrophilic Aromatic Substitution.
Nucleophilic Aromatic Substitution.
Aldehydes and Ketones.
Molecules of Life.
Dyes and Pigments.
Molecules of Heredity.
Nuclear Magnetic Resonance.
Answers to Odd-Numbered Exercises.
- Multiscale Approach. Students learn to work at the micro, semi-micro, and macroscale levels, in the end, allowing them to differentiate which is more appropriate for a given experiment.
- Easy to Navigate. Techniques are introduced at the appropriate time in the course, instead of combined at the end like many other books.
- State of the Art Spectroscopic Analysis. 500-MHz, 1H-NMR, 13C-NMR, and IR spectra presented at the end of experiments prepare the students for future challenges. Especially for those who go to schools with limited access to spectrometers.
- "Safety First." Boxes that emphasize hazards and chemical toxicity for each experiment.
- Pre-lab and In-lab Questions. Pre-lab questions help students prepare for each experiment and In-lab questions aid them in interpreting their results and in writing their lab reports (answers are not provided in book). These questions are very comprehensive and can be used instead of a lab report.
- Puzzles and Open-ended Experiments. Students are exposed to research-like situations by investigating the course of a reaction or solving an unknown. Students are more than mere spectators to the experiment, they are true participants.
- Connections to Everyday Life. Many of the experiments allow students to see how chemistry relates to their own lives.
- Wiley E-Texts are powered by VitalSource and accessed via the VitalSource Bookshelf reader, available online and via a downloadable app.
- Wiley E-Texts are accessible online and offline, and can be read on a variety of devices, including smartphones and tablets.
- Wiley E-Texts are non-returnable and non-refundable.
- Wiley E-Texts are protected by DRM. For specific DRM policies, please refer to our FAQ.
- WileyPLUS registration codes are NOT included with any Wiley E-Text. For informationon WileyPLUS, click here .
- To learn more about Wiley E-Texts, please refer to our FAQ.
- E-books are offered as e-Pubs or PDFs. To download and read them, users must install Adobe Digital Editions (ADE) on their PC.
- E-books have DRM protection on them, which means only the person who purchases and downloads the e-book can access it.
- E-books are non-returnable and non-refundable.
- To learn more about our e-books, please refer to our FAQ.