Algorithmic Problem Solving
October 2011, ©2011
The algorithmic approach to solving problems in computer technology is an essential tool. With this unique book, algorithm guru Roland Backhouse shares his four decades of experience to teach the fundamental principles of using algorithms to solve problems. Using fun and well-known puzzles to gradually introduce different aspects of algorithms in mathematics and computing. Backhouse presents you with a readable, entertaining, and energetic book that will motivate and challenge you to open your mind to the algorithmic nature of problem solving.
- Provides a novel approach to the mathematics of problem solving focusing on the algorithmic nature of problem solving
- Uses popular and entertaining puzzles to teach you different aspects of using algorithms to solve mathematical and computing challenges
- Features a theory section that supports each of the puzzles presented throughout the book
- Assumes only an elementary understanding of mathematics
Let Roland Backhouse and his four decades of experience show you how you can solve challenging problems with algorithms!
3. Crossing a River.
5. Knights and Knaves.
7. Fake-Coin Detection.
8. The Tower of Hanoi.
9. Principles of Algorithms Design.
10. The Bridge Problem.
11. Knight’s Circuit.
II. Mathematical Techniques.
12. The Language of Mathematics.
13. Boolean Algebra.
15. Elements of Number Theory.
16. Relations, Graphs and PTH Algebras.
Solutions to Exercises.