RealTime Physics Active Learning Laboratories Module 3 Electricity & Magnetism
January 2012, ©2012
There are 4 RealTime Physics modules: Module 1: Mechanics, Module 2: Heat and Thermodynamics, Module 3: Electricity and Magnetism, and Module 4: Light and Optics.
Lab 2: Electric Fields, Flux and Gauss’ Law /19
Lab 3: Electric and Gravitational Potential /35
Lab 4: Batteries, Bulbs, and Current /53
Lab 5: Current in Simple DC Circuits /77
Lab 6: Voltage in Simple DC Circuits and Ohm’s Law /103
Lab 7: Kirchhoff’s Circuit Rules /127
Lab 8: Introduction to Capacitors and RC Circuits /147
Lab 9: Magnetism /165
Lab 10: Electromagnetism /191
Appendix A: RealTime Physics Electric Circuits Experiment Configuration Files /215
• New labs: 1 replacement lab in Module 1; 50% new labs in Module 3
• All of these labs are available for customization via Wiley Custom Select. For more information on how you can tailor these experiments to fit your lab, visit http://www.wiley.com//college/sc/wcssciencelabs/
• Each module contains weekly laboratory sessions that are sequenced to provide students with a coherent observational basis for understanding a single topic area in one semester or quarter of laboratory sessions.
• Each lab (approx. 2 hours each) encourages students to construct their own models of physical phenomena based on observations and experiments. Extensions have been developed to provide more in-depth coverage when longer lab periods are available.
• Each set of related activities employs a consistent learning cycle: prediction, observation, comparison, analysis, and quantitative experimentation.
• Each lab includes a pre-lab warm-up assignment, and a post-lab homework assignment that reinforces critical physics concepts and investigative skills.
• Lab activities and homework assignments are integrated so that they depend on learning that has occurred during the previous lab session and also prepare students for activities in the next session.