The Book of Yields: Accuracy in Food Costing and Purchasing, 8th Edition
December 2010, ©2011
The Book of Yields: Accuracy in Food Costing and Purchasing now in its eighth edition is a chef's best resource for planning and preparing food more quickly and accurately. It is the foodservice manager's most powerful tool for controlling costs. This new edition combines yield information with information on wholesale food prices, worksheets for costing ingredients, and worksheets for planning food purchases. It is constructed with a durable comb binding that allows it to lay flat while readers work in the kitchen. This hands-on reference provides a substantial collection of accurate food measurements for more than 1,400 raw food ingredients. Measurements are given in weight-to-volume equivalents, trim yields, and cooking yields. Completely up to date with helpful information relating to new food trends, The Book of Yields, Eighth Edition will be the best the tool in your kitchen.
Chapter 1: Dry Herbs and Spices and Fresh Herbs.
Chapter 2: Produce.
Chapter 3: Starchy Food.
Chapter 4: Baking Items.
Chapter 5: Fats, Oils, and Condiments.
Chapter 6: Liquids.
Chapter 7: Dairy.
Chapter 8: Beverages.
Chapter 9: Meats.
Chapter 10: Seafood.
Chapter 11: Poultry.
Chapter 12: The Proper Use Of Cans, Scoops, Hotel Pans, and Sheet Trays In Costing.
Chapter 13: Measurement Conversion.
Chapter 14: Simple Formulas.
Chapter 15: Standard Portion Sizes.
Guide to Using the Costing Worksheets.
Guide to Using the Purchasing Worksheets.
- NEW INGREDIENTS include 52 new vegetables, 24 new herbs and spices, 47 new fruits, 35 new starches (including 23 new pastas)
- NEW INGREDIENTS include 16 new condiments that make the book a stronger compilation of multicultural flavorings
- Only product on market that provides yield information for more than 1,400 raw food ingredients, including 200 ones that are new to this edition
- New foods include 52 new vegetable entries and 47 new fruits.
- New Chapter on Standard Portion Sizes (chapter 15) which assists in menu planning, recipe development, and costing
- Assists chef in food preparation, purchasing decisions, and controlling costs
- Provides worksheets for costing ingredients and planning food purchases
- Clearly organised by food type (e.g., dairy, produce, dry herbs, etc.)
- Comb-binding provides durability and ease of use