Psychology, 6th Edition
December 2010, ©2011
The "Research in Depth" feature presents classic case studies along with exercises that help reinforce concepts related to research methodology. The new "Psychology at Work" sections offer information specifically related to Industrial/Organization or human factors as well as describes the role that psychology plays in various applied settings. "Profiles in Positive Psychology" also gives readers a look at the application of psychology to their daily lives, and exposes them to key topics in positive psychology. Overall, the material presents solid research in a manner that is accessible, lively, and thought-provoking.
PSYCHOLOGY: THE STUDY OF MENTAL PROCESSES AND BEHAVIOR 1
C H A P T E R 2
RESEARCH METHODS IN PSYCHOLOGY 31
C H A P T E R 3
BIOLOGICAL BASES OF MENTAL LIFE AND BEHAVIOR 63
C H A P T E R 4
SENSATION AND PERCEPTION 107
C H A P T E R 5
C H A P T E R 6
C H A P T E R 7
THOUGHT AND LANGUAGE 232
C H A P T E R 8
C H A P T E R 9
C H A P T E R 1 0
MOTIVATION AND EMOTION 330
C H A P T E R 1 1
HEALTH, STRESS, AND COPING 383
C H A P T E R 1 2
C H A P T E R 1 3
LIFE-SPAN DEVELOPMENT 477
C H A P T E R 1 4
PSYCHOLOGICAL DISORDERS 531
C H A P T E R 1 5
TREATMENT OF PSYCHOLOGICAL DISORDERS 575
C H A P T E R 1 6
SOCIAL COGNITION 611
C H A P T E R 1 7
INTERPERSONAL PROCESSES 653
PHOTO CREDITS PC-1
TEXT AND ILLUSTRATION CREDITS TC-1
NAME INDEX NI-1
SUBJECT INDEX SI-1
- "A Step Further" is a series of questions following the "Research in Depth" feature not only test the readers’ knowledge of research methodology, but encourages them to delve deeper into particular research studies.
- "Profiles in Positive Psychology" describes a particular topic within positive psychology along with a real-world example that the reader to relate to.
- "Psychology at Work" shows readers the application of psychology in the real world, as well as the diversity of areas within the field.
- Engaging Narrative Voice: The authors take complicated topics and explain them in a clear, understandable, and personal manner.
- "Research in Depth" is a case study introduced in each chapter and referred to throughout, tying the material together for the reader.
- "Have You Seen" and "Have You Heard" helps readers retain information by relating to issues in current events and pop culture.
- "Making Connections" links material from different chapters and sections throughout the text in order for readers recognize the links between topics in different areas of psychology.
- "One Step Further" provides an opportunity for advanced discussions of a topic, usually with a strong methodological or conceptual focus.
- Interim Summaries recap every major section throughout the text, optimizing reader comprehension and retention.