Health Psychology: Biopsychosocial Interactions, 7th Edition
December 2010, ©2011
The psychological research cited in the text supports a variety of behavioral, physiological, cognitive, and social/personality viewpoints. Sarafino integrates a focus on lifespan development in health and illness throughout the text.
Chapter 1 An Overview of Psychology and Health.
Chapter 2 The Body's Physical Systems.
PART II Stress, Illness, and Coping.
Chapter 3 Stress—Its Meaning, Impact, and Sources.
Chapter 4 Stress, Biopsychosocial Factors, and Illness.
Chapter 5 Coping With and Reducing Stress.
PART III Lifestyles to Enhance Health and Prevent Illness.
Chapter 6 Health-Related Behavior and Health Promotion.
Chapter 7 Substance Use and Abuse.
Chapter 8 Nutrition, Weight Control and Diet, Exercise, and Safety.
PART IV Becoming Ill and Getting Medical Treatment.
Chapter 9 Using Health Services.
Chapter 10 In the Hospital: the Setting, Procedures, and Effects on Patients.
PART V Physical Symptoms: Pain and Discomfort.
Chapter 11 The Nature and Symptoms of Pain.
Chapter 12 Managing and Controlling Clinical Pain.
PART VI Chronic and Life-Threatening Health Problems.
Chapter 13 Serious and Disabling Chronic Illnesses: Causes, Management, and Coping.
Chapter 14 Heart Disease, Stroke, Cancer, and Aids: Causes, Management, and Coping.
PART VII Looking to the Future.
Chapter 15 What's Ahead for Health Psychology?
Offers new information on prevention and intervention, especially for teens' risky behaviors.
Presents new discussions on health care systems and integrates international examples to broaden the view of health issues around the world.
Includes new and updated research and data throughout every chapter.
- Includes three different types of boxed features "Highlights on Issues," "Assess Yourself," and "Clinical Methods and Issues" to help give readers context for the material. The “Highlight” feature focuses on high-interest and in-depth topics such as careers relating to health and psychology. The “Assess Yourself” feature has readers actively examine their own health-related characteristics such as lifestyles and ways of coping with stress. Finally, the “Clinical Methods and Issues” focuses on methods and issues in application efforts in clinical health psychology, medicine, public health, and rehabilitation.
- Lifespan development in health and illness is integrated throughout the book and each chapter contains information dealing with development.
- Each chapter concludes with a substantial Summary and a list of Key Terms for readers to review and reflect on chapter topics and content.
- Interactive animation notices are placed throughout the text for each interactive animation -- featured on the complimentary Student Companion Site -- when relevant material is presented.
- Wiley E-Texts are powered by VitalSource technologies e-book software.
- With Wiley E-Texts you can access your e-book how and where you want to study: Online, Download and Mobile.
- Wiley e-texts are non-returnable and non-refundable.
- WileyPLUS registration codes are NOT included with the Wiley E-Text. For informationon WileyPLUS, click here .
- To learn more about Wiley e-texts, please refer to our FAQ.
- E-books are offered as e-Pubs or PDFs. To download and read them, users must install Adobe Digital Editions (ADE) on their PC.
- E-books have DRM protection on them, which means only the person who purchases and downloads the e-book can access it.
- E-books are non-returnable and non-refundable.
- To learn more about our e-books, please refer to our FAQ.