November 2010, ©2011
Within the text, Key Ideas sections are presented in each chapter act as an organizing mechanism and look at the big picture of that chapter. Many of the writing activities are open-ended questions that allow students to write questions or what they are thinking about the topic at that point. Case study examples are also integrated throughout to demonstrate how decisions are made and how they affect everything within a study. This text will enable students to create the most effective studies.
Research What Is It Anyway?
Qualitative And Quantitative Design.
Types Of Research.
Introduction To Armchair Moments .
Chapter 2 Scholar Before Researcher.
Reading Why Do It?
What Is A Literature Review?
Research Idea Locations.
Background Descriptive Statistics.
Chapter 3 Problem Areas And Research Questions.
The Need To Organize.
Practical Tactics For Organizing Your Information.
Transitioning From Organizing To Writing.
Your Research Interests.
The Road You Are On.
Chapter 4 Participant Sampling And Selection.
How Do We Get Who We Want?
Population, Sample, And Participants.
Quantitative Single-Stage Sampling Procedures.
Qualitative Sampling Process.
Potential Harm To Participants.
Chapter 5 Believability In Observation And Measurement.
You Must Know So They Can Believe!
The Ways We Measure Quantitatively.
“Score” Reliablity And Validity.
Reliability And Validity Of Qualitative Research.
Chapter 6 Instruments And Collection.
Surveys, Questionnaires, Interviews, And Field Notes.
How Should I Collect Data?
Types Of Content.
Basics Of Instrument Construction.
Methods Of Data Collection.
Paper-And-Pencil Tests And Inventories.
Language And Bias.
Operationalizing Latent Constructs.
Data Collection Patterns.
Chapter 7 Experimental And Nonexperimental.
Design For Strength And Elegance.
Study Design Review.
Designs And Their Limitations.
Nonexperimental And Descriptive Designs.
Brief Discussion Of Advanced Designs/Statistical Techniques.
Types Of Data.
Justifying Your Research Design.
Chapter 8 Qualitative Design.
Introduction To Qualitative Design.
Chapter 9 Analysis Techniques: Descriptive And Inferential Statistics.
Why Choose An Analysis Technique Now?
Chapter 10 Data Analysis: Non-Numeric Data.
Pattern Searching And Testing, Qualitative Style.
Study Validity In Qualitative Analysis.
Data Analysis Techniques, Phases, And Issues.
Which Software To Choose, If You Go That Route.
Analysis By Method.
Chapter 11 Program Evaluation.
What Is Evaluation?
Models/Approaches To Evaluation.
Our Model And Experience With Evaluations.
Chapter 12 Writing The Proposal Or Final Report.
Research Report Writing.
Being Your Own Best Editor.
- Each chapter begins with a Key Idea. Key Ideas act as an organising mechanism and give the big picture of that chapter.
- Beginning in Chapter 2, there are writing activities and open-ended questions that allow students to write questions or what they are thinking about the topic at that point. Other activities are designed to help think critically or to critique.
- In-Text Activities encourage students to stop to write down what they are working on, such as their research question, review of literature, or potential sample. These activities are designed to help develop research and act as a running record of thoughts at any given moment.
- Each chapter concludes with an Arm Chair Moment in order to discuss in depth a specific topic that has troubled students in our classes. The Arm Chair Moment is a less formal conversation about a topic in the chapter, and is similar to a conversation one may have with a colleague, professor, or peer.
- Case Study examples have been created for students to follow from chapter to chapter to see how the decisions made, related to the material in the chapter, in a research study affect everything else.