Adult Development and Aging: Biopsychosocial Perspectives, 4th Edition
December 2010, ©2011
Chapter 1 Themes and Issues in Adult Development and Aging.
The Biopsychosocial Perspective.
Four Principles of Adult Development and Aging.
The Meaning of Age.
Social Factors in Adult Development and Aging.
The Baby Boomers Grow Up: Changes in the Middle-Aged and Older Populations in the United States and the World.
Chapter 2 Models of Development: Nature and Nurture in Adulthood.
Models of Individual-Environment Interactions.
Sociocultural Models of Development.
Psychological Models of Development in Adulthood.
Biological Approaches to Aging in Adulthood.
Chapter 3 The Study of Adult Development and Aging: Research Methods.
Variables in Development Research.
Descriptive Research Designs.
Sequential Research Designs.
Types of Research Methods.
Measurement Issues in Adult Development and Aging.
Ethical Issues in Research.
Chapter 4 Physical Changes.
Vital Bodily Functions.
Bodily Control Systems.
Sensation and Perception.
Chapter 5 Health and Prevention.
Diseases of the Cardiovascular System.
Disorders of the Musculoskeletal System.
Demetia and Related Neurological Disorders.
Chapter 6 Basic Cognitive Functions: Information Processing, Attention, and Memory.
Driving and Aging.
Chapter 7 Language, Problem-Solving, and Intelligence.
Everyday Problem Solving.
The Psychology of Wisdom.
Chapter 8 Personality.
Social Cognitive Approaches.
Possible Selves Theory.
Midlife Crisis Theories and Findings.
Chapter 9 Relationships.
Marriage and Intimate Relationships.
Chapter 10 Work, Retirement, and Leisure Patterns.
Work Patterns in Adulthood.
Age and Vocational Performance.
Leisure Pursuits in Later Adulthood.
Chapter 11 Mental Health Issues and Treatment.
Psychological Disorders in Adulthood.
Treatment Issues in Mental Health Care.
Serious Psychological Distress.
Chapter 12 Long-Term Care.
Institutional Facilities for Long-Term Care.
The Financing of Long-Term Care.
Legislative Issues in Care of Older Adults.
Characteristics and Needs of Nursing Homes and Their Residents.
Psychological Issues on Long-Term Care.
Chapter 13 Death and Dying.
Technical Perspectives on Death.
The Dying Process.
Issues in End-of-Life Care.
Chapter 14 Successful Aging.
Theoretical Perspectives on Successful Aging.
Productivity and Creativity.
Successful Aging: Final Perspectives.
- The “Assess Yourself” boxes have been updated and revised with new questions.
- Presents recent articles and updates with factual information relevant to demography, economics, and public policy.
- A NEW “Aging in the News” feature that offers the story of a remarkable achievement by a middle-aged or older adult.
- Provides a fresh approach of the field of adult development with an engaging writing style to appeal to today’s student.
- Each chapter opens with quotations from well-known authors, poets, and celebrities to provide thought-provoking observations on aging.
- “What Do You Think?” critical thinking questions keyed into the text content encourage students to think in-depth about the material.
- Wiley E-Texts are powered by VitalSource technologies e-book software.
- With Wiley E-Texts you can access your e-book how and where you want to study: Online, Download and Mobile.
- Wiley e-texts are non-returnable and non-refundable.
- WileyPLUS registration codes are NOT included with the Wiley E-Text. For informationon WileyPLUS, click here .
- To learn more about Wiley e-texts, please refer to our FAQ.
- E-books are offered as e-Pubs or PDFs. To download and read them, users must install Adobe Digital Editions (ADE) on their PC.
- E-books have DRM protection on them, which means only the person who purchases and downloads the e-book can access it.
- E-books are non-returnable and non-refundable.
- To learn more about our e-books, please refer to our FAQ.