Becoming a Master Manager: A Competing Values Approach, 5th Edition
October 2010, ©2011
Becoming a Master Manager, 5th Edition is appropriate for management and organizational behavior courses offered at the upper-level undergraduate and MBA levels.
The Evolution of Management Models
The Competing Values Framework
Organizing the Learning Process - ALAPA
Core Competency: Thinking Critically
MODULE 1 Creating and Sustaining Commitment and Cohesion
Competency 1-1 Understanding Self and Others
Competency 1-2 Communicating Honestly and Effectively
Competency 1-3 Mentoring and Developing Others
Competency 1-4 Managing Groups and Leading Teams
Competency 1-5 Managing and Encouraging Constructive Conflict
MODULE 2 Establishing and Maintaining Stability and Continuity
Competency 2-1 Organizing Information Flows
Competency 2-2 Working and Managing Across Functions
Competency 2-3 Planning and Coordinating Projects
Competency 2-4 Measuring and Monitoring Performance and Quality
Competency 2-5 Encouraging and Enabling Compliance
MODULE 3 Improving Productivity and Increasing Profitability
Competency 3-1 Developing and Communicating a Vision
Competency 3-2 Setting Goals and Objectives
Competency 3-3 Motivating Self and Others
Competency 3-4 Designing and Organizing
Competency 3-5 Managing Execution and Driving for Result
MODULE 4 Promoting Change and Encouraging Adaptability
Competency 4-1 Using Power Ethically and Effectively
Competency 4-2 Championing and Selling New Ideas
Competency 4-3 Fueling and Fostering Innovation
Competency 4-4 Negotiating Agreement and Commitment
Competency 4-5 Implementing and Sustaining Change
CONCLUSION Integration and the Road to Mastery
Integration and Behavioral Complexity
How Master Managers See the World
The Leveraging Power of Lift
The Never-ending Road to Mastery
- Emphasis on the Concept of Managerial Paradox: Multiple tensions that managers face in the workplace today. Examples of paradoxes are included throughout the text.
- New Organization: Four modules instead of eight chapters help students make connections between topics.
- Evaluation Matrix Assignment: Now included at the end of each module to allow students to strategize for mastery at an earlier time.
- Managerial and leadership competing values framework: extensively researched theoretical framework is used to organize the material.
- Flexible and coherent systems approach to learning about management skills.
- A well established pedagogical approach to learning that includes assessment, learning analysis, practice, application, and reflection is used throughout the text.