Chemistry: The Molecular Nature of Matter, 6th Edition
January 2011, ©2012
Chapter 2: Scientific Measurements.
Chapter 3: Elements, Compounds, and the Periodic Table.
Chapter 4: The Mole and Stoichiometry.
Chapter 5: Molecular View of Reactions in Aqueous Solutions.
Chapter 6: Oxidation–Reduction Reactions.
Chapter 7: Energy and Chemical Change.
Chapter 8: The Quantum Mechanical Atom.
Chapter 9: The Basics of Chemical Bonding.
Chapter 10: Theories of Bonding and Structure.
Chapter 11: Properties of Gases.
Chapter 12: Intermolecular Attractions and the Properties of Liquids and Solids.
Chapter 13: Mixtures at the Molecular Level: Properties of Solutions.
Chapter 14: Chemical Kinetics.
Chapter 15: Chemical Equilibrium.
Chapter 16: Acids and Bases, A Molecular Look.
Chapter 17: Acid-Base Equilibria in Aqueous Solutions.
Chapter 18: Solubility and Simultaneous Equilibria.
Chapter 19: Thermodynamics.
Chapter 20: Electrochemistry.
Chapter 21: Nuclear Reactions and Their Role in Chemistry.
Chapter 22: Metal Complexes.
Chapter 23: Organic Compounds, Polymers, and Biochemicals.
- The new edition begins with a new chapter (chapter one) that lays the groundwork for the atomic and molecular view of matter and outlines how these concepts are used throughout the text. This chapter includes a discussion of what chemistry is and the kinds of activities that chemists participate in.
- Analyzing and Solving Multi-Concept Problems – these new sections in the text demonstrate to students how difficult problems can often be decomposed into a set of similar problems of a type that they have already learned to solve. The emphasis is on the thinking that goes into solving a complex problem. Multi-Concept problems are included at the end of each chapter – the goal is to challenge the student to solve problems that require the application of several different concepts.
- New figures have been included throughout the text to provide visual meaning to accompanying discussions.
- In the end of chapter questions and problems, exercises have been added that have a visual component, requiring students to apply molecular concepts developed in the chapter discussions.
- The end of chapter problems have undergone a reworking to be sure that they provide a range of difficulty, from drill-type problems to more difficult ones; a significant number of “visual” problems that include graphics or molecular structures that need to be explained or manipulated have been added.
- The three step problem solving process of Analysis, Solution, and asking Is The Answer Reasonable?, which was applied to all worked examples in the 5th edition has been retained. The authors have expanded this to include a fourth step called Assembling The Tools, which appears just following the Analysis step. After analyzing the problem and defining the approach that will be followed to obtain an answer, the authors describe specifically the tools that will be used in the Solution step that comes next.
- Clear, concise and easy to understand
- Analysis, Solution and Is The Answer Reasonable? parts of the worked examples really teach/reinforce the critical thinking skills
- Great writing style that gives the feeling of a dialog or a personal conversation
- Chapters 1 & 3 from the previous edition have been combined into a new chapter 1
- End of Chapter problems and questions that make students think about how the concepts relate to their own life
- Tools For Problem Solving & Summary of Tools*
- Facets of Chemistry: Shorts essays providing descriptions of real-world, practical applications of chemistry in industry, medicine, and the environment.
- Bringing It All Together: Collection of exercises to review topics presented in the preceding chapters as well as problem solving that combines concepts from two or more chapters
- Interactive Learning Ware: Step by step interactive tutorial to develop problem solving skills
- Macro to micro illustrations
- Wiley E-Texts are powered by VitalSource technologies e-book software.
- With Wiley E-Texts you can access your e-book how and where you want to study: Online, Download and Mobile.
- Wiley e-texts are non-returnable and non-refundable.
- WileyPLUS registration codes are NOT included with the Wiley E-Text. For informationon WileyPLUS, click here .
- To learn more about Wiley e-texts, please refer to our FAQ.
- E-books are offered as e-Pubs or PDFs. To download and read them, users must install Adobe Digital Editions (ADE) on their PC.
- E-books have DRM protection on them, which means only the person who purchases and downloads the e-book can access it.
- E-books are non-returnable and non-refundable.
- To learn more about our e-books, please refer to our FAQ.