Introduction to the Hospitality Industry 8th Edition
February 2011, ©2012
Readers preparing to work in hospitality will enter a field that is quickly evolving. The rise of the global economy, ecotourism, internet commerce, and changing consumer demands are just some of the factors they will be dealing with in this exciting and dynamic industry. This new edition gives readers the foundation they need to thrive in today’s hospitality industry, covering everything from finance to operational issues. The Eighth Edition of Introduction to the Hospitality Industry features both historical perspectives and discussions of new trends in a variety of sectors of the hospitality business, including food service, lodging, and tourism. Additional international examples of hospitality and tourism operations have been included throughout the text. This book covers all the latest trends, challenges, and opportunities in the hospitality industry. Readers will have a strong overview of the industry, where it fits into the broader world, the major issues and challenges in the field, and the many possible career paths that await them.
Chapter 1. The hospitality industry and you 3
Chapter 2. Forces affecting growth and change in the hospitality industry 33
Part 2. Food service 61
Chapter 3. The restaurant business 63
Chapter 4. Restaurant operations 103
Chapter 5. Restaurant industry organization : chain, independent, or franchise? 127
Chapter 6. Competitive forces in food service 159
Chapter 7. Issues facing food service 183
Chapter 8. On-site food service 213
Chapter 9. Lodging : meeting guest needs 257
Chapter 10. Hotel and lodging operations 293
Chapter 11. Forces shaping the hotel business 333
Chapter 12. Competition in the lodging business 367
Part 4. Travel and tourism 405
Chapter 13. Tourism: Front and center 407
Chapter 14. Destinations: Tourism generators 437
Part 5. Hospitality as a service industry 483
Chapter 15. The role of service in the hospitality industry 485
- Expanded discussions of sustainability and corporate responsibility
- Discussion of demographics and changes with specific generations with special attention to the effects associated with aging Baby Boomers
- Inclusion of new and emerging industry segments
- More culinary examples including international culinary programs and an updated profile of the Research Chefs Association
- New trends in on-site foodservice including those related to vending
- An expanded section on franchising along with considerations of the global marketplace
- More examples of the use of technology in both food service and lodging
- A greater emphasis upon international travel and the associated effects on tourism along with the introduction of voluntourism
- Revised and extended discussions of prominent gaming destinations such as Atlantic City, Mississippi Gulf Coast, and Macau
- Updated Internet exercises that can facilitate individual learning or group discussion
- The classic introductory textbook for hospitality majors where the course includes management topics
- Appealing full color interior design
- Includes a full exploration of the significant changes that have taken place in hospitality and tourism in the post 9/11 world
- Comprehensive treatment of the entire hospitality industry, and thoroughly updated to reflect the latest trends in the hospitality, foodservice, and travel/tourism industries
- Learning objectives, summaries, review questions, key terms concepts are contained in each chapter
- “This Chapter Should Help You” learning objectives are directly tied to sections within each chapter, easily facilitating ready assessment of learning outcomes
- “Industry Practice Notes” take a closer look at specific trends in the hospitality industry
- “Case Histories,” which emphasize real-world examples from renowned hospitality organizations and associations
- “Careers in Hospitality” discussion points are integrated throughout the book and are highlighted with an icon
- Wiley E-Texts are powered by VitalSource and accessed via the VitalSource Bookshelf reader, available online and via a downloadable app.
- Wiley E-Texts are accessible online and offline, and can be read on a variety of devices, including smartphones and tablets.
- Wiley E-Texts are non-returnable and non-refundable.
- Wiley E-Texts are protected by DRM. For specific DRM policies, please refer to our FAQ.
- WileyPLUS registration codes are NOT included with any Wiley E-Text. For informationon WileyPLUS, click here .
- To learn more about Wiley E-Texts, please refer to our FAQ.
- E-books are offered as e-Pubs or PDFs. To download and read them, users must install Adobe Digital Editions (ADE) on their PC.
- E-books have DRM protection on them, which means only the person who purchases and downloads the e-book can access it.
- E-books are non-returnable and non-refundable.
- To learn more about our e-books, please refer to our FAQ.