Special Events: A New Generation and the Next Frontier, 6th Edition
October 2010, ©2011
It is through special events and celebrations we continue to remember our shared history, our friends, and family. This new Sixth Edition of Special Events: A New Generation and the Next Frontier continues the legacy and includes new chapters on greener events, corporate social responsibility, and theoretical case studies. Also included are new interviews with both experienced event leaders and students, as well as recent graduates of event studies programs, which provide lessons learned from many perspectives. Event measurement, evaluation, and assessment topics are now integrated throughout a number of the chapters. Students will also learn how technology may be harnessed to help improve their events’ financial, quality, environmental, and other strategic outcomes. More than 200 new web resources incorporated in the text and appendices (now online) in Special Events, Sixth Edition assure the student acquires a firm foundation for their future in event planning.
PART ONE: Theory of Event Leadership.
CHAPTER 1 Welcome to Planned Events.
CHAPTER 2 Models of Global Planned Events.
PART TWO: Event Administration.
CHAPTER 3 Developing and Implementing the Event Plan.
CHAPTER 4 Event Leadership Through Human Resource and Time Management.
CHAPTER 5 Financial Administration.
CHAPTER 6 Greener Events.
PART THREE: Event Coordination.
CHAPTER 7 Managing Vendor Contracts.
CHAPTER 8 On-Site Event Production.
PART FOUR: Event Marketing.
CHAPTER 9 Advertising, Public Relations, Promotions, and Sponsorships.
CHAPTER 10 Online Marketing and Consumer-Generated Media.
PART FIVE: Legal, Ethical, and Risk Management.
CHAPTER 11 Risk Management: Legal and Financial Safeguards.
CHAPTER 12 Inclusiveness, Morality, Law, and Ethics in Event Planning.
CHAPTER 13 Doing the Right Thing: Corporate Social Responsibility (CSR).
PART SIX: Technology for Professional Development.
CHAPTER 14 Technology and Modern Event Planning.
CHAPTER 15 Career Development, Advancement, and Sustainable Success.
CHAPTER 16 The New Best Practices in Planned Events.
CHAPTER 17 New Frontiers in Twenty-First-Century Planned Events.
APPENDIX 1 References.
APPENDIX 2 International Special Events Society Principles of Professional Conduct and Ethics.
APPENDIX 3 The Greener Appendix.
- New interviews with both experienced event leaders and students as well as recent graduates of event studies programs. Through these profiles in each chapter you will meet the experienced pioneers and their protégées. You will learn what makes the great ones and their events truly spectacular.
- New chapters include:
- Chapter 6: Green Events. Thanks to Sam Goldblatt, in this first ever chapter on environmental sustainability for meetings and events, you will discover the latest trends, techniques, and tips for recycling, reducing the carbon footprint and reusing elements of your event to create sustainable outcomes. You will also learn about the potential for developing a Green Events qualification (credential) to help brand your event in the future.
- Chapter 13: Doing the Right Thing, Corporate Social Responsibility (CSR). This chapter explores the emerging focus on CSR in organizations such as Meeting Professionals International and includes case examples of programs that focus upon linking event outcomes to improving society.
- Chapter 17: New Frontiers in Twenty-First-Century Planned Events. This chapter includes new theoretical case studies for a number of different event fields, such as Attractions, Catering, Conventions, Government, Festivals, Sports, and more.
- Event measurement, evaluation, and assessment topics are integrated throughout a number of the chapters in Special Events. As governments and other funders increasingly ask for valid and reliable data about the impact of your event, this coverage provides you with the strategies and tools to collect, analyse, and disseminate information that will help you attract greater support in the future for your events.
- Over 200 new web resources in the text and appendices to help you save money, save time, and improve the overall quality of your events.
- A comprehensive listing of schools of event management for further study.
- An expanded case studies section based upon the Harvard Business Review model as well as five new best practice events to serve as sterling models for your future event.
- Finally, throughout Special Events, Sixth Edition, you will learn how technology may be harnessed to help you improve your events’ financial, quality, environmental and other strategic outcomes.
- Market-leading text and anchor of the Wiley Events Series provides current and future event leaders with a comprehensive guide to understanding, planning, promoting, and producing special events
- Study prep section for the Certified Special Events Professional (CSEP) exam
- Inspiring profiles of Event Leaders
- Real-world case studies in 21st-century event management
- Emphasizes the growing globalization of the profession, taking into account the skill set leaders need in order to deal with other cultures, societies, and business practices
- Provides information on risk management and security issues
- Wiley E-Texts are powered by VitalSource technologies e-book software.
- With Wiley E-Texts you can access your e-book how and where you want to study: Online, Download and Mobile.
- Wiley e-texts are non-returnable and non-refundable.
- WileyPLUS registration codes are NOT included with the Wiley E-Text. For informationon WileyPLUS, click here .
- To learn more about Wiley e-texts, please refer to our FAQ.
- E-books are offered as e-Pubs or PDFs. To download and read them, users must install Adobe Digital Editions (ADE) on their PC.
- E-books have DRM protection on them, which means only the person who purchases and downloads the e-book can access it.
- E-books are non-returnable and non-refundable.
- To learn more about our e-books, please refer to our FAQ.