The Bar and Beverage Book, 5th Edition
June 2012, ©2012
Chapter 2: Responsible Alcohol Service
Chapter 3: Creating and Maintaining a Bar Business
Chapter 4: Bar Equipment
Chapter 5: The Beverages: Spirits
Chapter 6: Wine Appreciation
Chapter 7: Wine Sales and Service
Chapter 8: Beer
Chapter 9: Sanitation and Bar Setup
Chapter 10: Mixology, Part One
Chapter 11: Mixology, Part Two
Chapter 12: Employee Management
Chapter 13: Purchasing, Receiving, Storage, and Inventory
Chapter 14: Planning For Profit
Chapter 15: Managing Your Bar Business
Chapter 16: Regulations
- Shows updated bar trends, from airport bars to hookah bars, to hotel minibars.
- Updated information about how the industry is working to promote responsible service.
- New demographic information about potential customer segments
- More information on the marketing powerhouses behind some of the major liquor brands, and details about such trendy products as cachaça, light whiskey and absinthe.
- Descriptions of more types of grapes used in winemaking, and updated the American Viticultural Areas (AVAs) to reflect those most recently designated.
- Extensive discussion of options for bar mixes and juices, an introduction to agua fresca, and the debate about serving bottled water versus filtered tap water.
- Responsible alcohol service—learn crisis management, protection from third-party liability, and ways to ensure customers drink in moderation
- Marketing—investigate new service methods to attract a wider demographic
- Staffing—improve the recruitment, hiring, and training of employees
- Spirits, wine, and beer—acquire a greater knowledge of upscale products
- Management practices—learn methods for pricing individual drinks, tracking product, preventing loss, and calculating a bar's break-even point for profitability
- Regulations—stay informed about the latest legal issues