Operating System Concepts Essentials
November 2010, ©2011
Based on the bestselling 8th edition, Operating System Concepts Essentials provides readers with a streamlined text that focuses on the core concepts that underlie contemporary operating systems. It has been designed to reflect a typical undergraduate course syllabus in operating systems but offers an alternative format to enable students to grasp the essential features of a modern operating system more easily and more quickly.
Chapter 1. Introduction.
Chapter 2. Operating-System Structures.
PART TWO. PROCESS MANAGEMENT.
Chapter 3. Processes
Chapter 4. Threads.
Chapter 5. CPU Scheduling.
Chapter 6. Process Synchronization.
PART THREE. MEMORY MANAGEMENT.
Chapter 7. Main Memory.
Chapter 8. Virtual Memory.
PART FOUR. STORAGE MANAGEMENT.
Chapter 9. File-System Interface.
Chapter 10. File-System Implementation.
Chapter 11. Mass-Storage Structure.
Chapter 12. I/O Systems.
PART FIVE. PROTECTION AND SECURITY.
Chapter 13. Protection.
Chapter 14. Security.
PART SIX. CASE STUDIES.
Chapter 15. The Linux/System.
Chapter 16. Windows 7
PART SEVEN. APPENDICES.
Appendix A. BSD UNIX (contents online).
Appendix B. The Mach System (contents online).
- Focuses on core concepts to help instructors and students better align the content of the book with the syllabus of the typical course. The briefer book is also priced to enhance its value to the student.
- The authors have omitted materials that are less often assigned in the course.
- Includes a thorough update of OSC 8e and a new chapter on Windows7®.
- Updated coverage of many topics including multicore CPUs, virtual machines, and open-source operating systems.
- Additional practice exercises for students online.
- Clear, authoritative coverage of the concepts that underlie operating systems.
- Teaches general concepts in operating systems while allowing for a choice in implementation systems.
- Includes programming problems and projects.
- Wiley E-Texts are powered by VitalSource technologies e-book software.
- With Wiley E-Texts you can access your e-book how and where you want to study: Online, Download and Mobile.
- Wiley e-texts are non-returnable and non-refundable.
- WileyPLUS registration codes are NOT included with the Wiley E-Text. For informationon WileyPLUS, click here .
- To learn more about Wiley e-texts, please refer to our FAQ.
- E-books are offered as e-Pubs or PDFs. To download and read them, users must install Adobe Digital Editions (ADE) on their PC.
- E-books have DRM protection on them, which means only the person who purchases and downloads the e-book can access it.
- E-books are non-returnable and non-refundable.
- To learn more about our e-books, please refer to our FAQ.