The Art of Charcuterie
December 2010, ©2010
The art of charcuterie has been practiced since the fifteenth century, but in recent years interest has escalated in this artisanal specialty. Pâtés, cured meats, terrines, and gourmet sausages are staples at upscale restaurants as well as cocktail and dinner parties. Modern charcutiers have introduced new and exciting techniques and flavors for delicious (and even healthy) charcuterie. Written by John Kowalski and the experts at the CIA, The Art of Charcuterie covers every aspect of this rediscovered culinary art: curing and brining, smoking, terrines, pâtés, sausages, herbs and seasonings, sauces and relishes, and kitchen sanitation.
• Features thorough explanations of tools of the trade, kitchen equipment, and ingredients
• Includes technical and nutritional explanations of all the meats used in the charcuterie kitchen and how to best prepare them
• Heavily illustrated with 200 full-color photographs, including techniques and finished items
The Art of Charcuterie is the ultimate companion for professionals and dedicated home cooks who want to master both traditional and contemporary techniques.
Chapter One: Equipment.
Chapter Two: Spices, Herbs, and Seasonings.
Chapter Three: Meats, Poultry, and Seafood.
Chapter Four: Sanitation.
Chapter Five: Curing and Brining.
Chapter Six: Smoking.
Chapter Seven: Forcemeats.
Chapter Eight: Sausages.
Chapter Nine: Condiments.
John Kowalski is a Certified Hospitality Educator and a professor of culinary arts at the CIA. His previous experience includes restaurant positions at Le Chantilly, Le Périgord Park, and Petite Marmite. He also has worked as a corporate traveling chef throughout the United States and as an educational administrator at Empire State College. Kowalski competed with the CIA's faculty teams in the Sociètè Culinaire Philanthropique's New York Culinary Salon in 1995 and 1996 and 2001 through 2003. His awards include First Prize for Cooking and an Honorable Mention for Pastry in 1995, First Prize for Culinary Presentation in 2002, and the Salon's grand prize, the Marc L. Sarrazin Trophy, in 2003.
- Wiley E-Texts are powered by VitalSource technologies e-book software.
- With Wiley E-Texts you can access your e-book how and where you want to study: Online, Download and Mobile.
- Wiley e-texts are non-returnable and non-refundable.
- WileyPLUS registration codes are NOT included with the Wiley E-Text. For informationon WileyPLUS, click here .
- To learn more about Wiley e-texts, please refer to our FAQ.
- E-books are offered as e-Pubs or PDFs. To download and read them, users must install Adobe Digital Editions (ADE) on their PC.
- E-books have DRM protection on them, which means only the person who purchases and downloads the e-book can access it.
- E-books are non-returnable and non-refundable.
- To learn more about our e-books, please refer to our FAQ.