Introduction to Chemical Engineering: Tools for Today and Tomorrow, 5th Edition
August 2010, ©2011
CHAPTER 2 The Role of Chemical Processing
CHAPTER 3 Solving Engineering Problems (What Shall We Do?)
CHAPTER 4 Describing Physical Quantities
CHAPTER 5 Material Balances (How Much Base Do We Need?)
CHAPTER 6 Spreadsheets (Calculating the Cost of the Base)
CHAPTER 7 Fluid Flow (Bringing the Base to the Acid)
CHAPTER 8 Mass Transfer (Mixing the Acid and the Base)
CHAPTER 9 Reaction Engineering (What Size Reactor?)
CHAPTER 10 Heat Transfer (Cooling Down the Product)
CHAPTER 11 Materials (An Important Equipment Feature)
CHAPTER 12 Controlling the Process
CHAPTER 13 Economics (Is It All Worth ItT?)
CHAPTER 14 Case Studies (Integrating It All Together)
- More Contemporary Applications: This edition has an increased focus on contemporary applications of chemical engineering (humanitarian, biomedical, energy, etc.), as reflected by the new title (the title of previous editions was Introduction to Chemical Process Fundamentals and Design).
- Discussions have been added to the end of most chapters providing examples of how topics in the chapter are applied to current problems of society to help motivate student study of the topics.
- The concept of the Grand Challenges: The recommendations of the National Academy of Engineering have been added, along with brief statements about the leadership role of chemical engineering in addressing many of those challenges.
- Ethics: The AIChE Code of Ethics has been added, along with discussion and examples (including a homework exercise) illustrating its application.
- Homework Problems: Additional homework problems have been added to support the new content and illustrate important applications.
- Refinements: Corrections, clarifications, and improvements have been added as guided by our own experience and by feedback from students and colleagues. This includes format changes that help students identify and locate key content.
- Relevance: The text helps students recognize how what they are learning in their engineering, chemistry, and physics courses applies to professional practice and how chemical engineering will play a critical role in solving important global challenges.
- Problem-Solving: The content helps beginning students develop problem-solving skills, including the ability to solve quantitative problems appropriate for students at their level.
- Introduction to Design: Following the central story line throughout the book, students are led step-by-step through a chemical engineering design project, and perform a variety of design calculations as a basis for design decisions.
- Homework Problems help students practice the skills that they’ve learned and Assessment, Practice and Self-Study Resources help students learn the concepts and skills presented.
- Case Studies give students the opportunity to apply what they’ve learned in a number of areas to the solution of a design problem.
- Spreadsheets: Students are introduced to spreadsheets, and homework problems throughout the book give the students practice with this tool.
- Engineering Teamwork, Ethics, and Creative Problem-Solving: These topics begin building the student’s ability to guide teams of peers to creative and ethical solutions.
- Introduction and Integration of Chemical Engineering Topics: The text provides an integrated, holistic view of the chemical engineering discipline.
- Wiley E-Texts are powered by VitalSource technologies e-book software.
- With Wiley E-Texts you can access your e-book how and where you want to study: Online, Download and Mobile.
- Wiley e-texts are non-returnable and non-refundable.
- WileyPLUS registration codes are NOT included with the Wiley E-Text. For informationon WileyPLUS, click here .
- To learn more about Wiley e-texts, please refer to our FAQ.
- E-books are offered as e-Pubs or PDFs. To download and read them, users must install Adobe Digital Editions (ADE) on their PC.
- E-books have DRM protection on them, which means only the person who purchases and downloads the e-book can access it.
- E-books are non-returnable and non-refundable.
- To learn more about our e-books, please refer to our FAQ.