Professional Baking, with Method Cards , 5th Edition
March 2008, ©2009
About Le Cordon Bleu.
Chapter 1. The Baking Profession.
Chapter 2. Basic professional Skills: Bakeshop Math and Sanitation.
Chapter 3. Baking and Pastry Equipment.
Chapter 4. Ingredients.
Chapter 5. Basic Baking Principles.
Chapter 6. Understanding Yeast Doughs.
Chapter 7. Understanding Artisan Breads.
Chapter 8. Lean Yeast Doughs.
Chapter 9. Rich Yeast Doughs.
Chapter 10. Quick Breads.
Chapter 11. Doughnuts, Fritters, Pancakes, and Waffles.
Chapter 12. Basic Syrups, Creams, and Sauces.
Chapter 13. Pies.
Chapter 14. Pastry Basics.
Chapter 15. Tarts and Special Pastries.
Chapter 16. Cake Mixing and Baking.
Chapter 17. Assembling and Decorating Cakes.
Chapter 18. Specialty Cakes, Gateaux, and Torten.
Chapter 19. Cookies.
Chapter 20. Custards Puddings, Mousses, and Souffles.
Chapter 21. Frozen Desserts.
Chapter 22. Fruit Desserts.
Chapter 3. Dessert Presentation.
Chapter 24. Chocolate.
Chapter 25. Marzipan, Nouogatine, and Pastillage.
Chapter 26. Sugar Techniques.
Chapter 27. Baking for Special Diets.
Appendix 1. Large-Quantity Measurements.
Appendix 2. Metric Conversion Factors.
Appendix 3. Decimal Equivalents of Common Fractions.
Appendix 4. Approximate Volume Equivalents of Common Fractions.
Appendix 4. Approximate Volume Equivalents of Dry Foods.
Appendix 5. Temperature Calculations for Yeast Doughs.
Appendix 6. Eggs and Safety.
• Includes a new chapter 27 on baking for special diets, including low-fat, low-sugar, gluten-free, and dairy-free diets and discusses food allergy and intolerance concerns
• Features over 100 new photographs of finished dishes, techniques and product identification—bringing the total of more than 775 color photographs and illustrations
• More detailed information on controlling gluten development, the baking process, and basic yeast dough techniques
• Each copy of the book comes packaged with Professional Baking Method Cards, laminated mixing procedures for Cookies, Cakes, Quick Breads, and Yeast Dough
• Each copy of the text includes a new recipe management software program, Wiley CulinarE-Companion™, features user-friendly navigation, flexibility, and robust content—which means no special training necessary!
• Totally redesigned to adapt the book to nearly any way the course is taught
• Expanded coverage of baking history, careers, ingredients, baking formulas and baker’s math, and baking science
• Includes new sidebars explaining the history and cultural background of various bakery products, as well as details concerning specialty equipment, ingredients, nutrition, and other topics of interest
• Blackboard and WebCT is available
• Includes close to 900 fully tested and classroom used recipes
• Offers complete, step-by-step instruction in the art of making delicious pastries, cakes, desserts, and artisan breads
• Covers advanced pastry work including special pastries, specialty cakes, frozen desserts, sugar work and show pieces, dessert presentation, and chocolate work
• Enhanced companion website for students that allows for self-testing and additional baking and pastry resources
• Its comprehensiveness is unmatched in the market and its clear and technically accurate content provide readers with the base of knowledge that they need to further their skills
• Provides comprehensive coverage of the basics (bread making and cake mixing) and enhanced coverage of higher level techniques (pastry, chocolate, sugar work), which are becoming increasingly common in the introductory course