Workshop Statistics: Discovery with Data, 4th Edition
October 2011, ©2012
The seamless integration of Allan Rossman and Beth Chance's Workshop Statistics: Discover with Data, 4e with WileyPLUS, a research-based, online environment for effective teaching and learning, continues the authors' vision of building student confidence in statistics because it takes the guesswork out of studying by providing them with a clear roadmap: what to do, how to do it, and whether they did it right.
Topic 1: Data and Variables
Topic 2: Data and Distributions
Topic 3: Drawing Conclusions from Studies
Topic 4: Random Sampling
Topic 5: Designing Experiments
Unit 2: Summarizing Data
Topic 6: Two-Way Tables
Topic 7: Displaying and Describing Distributions
Topic 8: Measures of Center
Topic 9: Measures of Speed
Topic 10: More Summary Measures and Graphs
Unit 3: Randomness in Data
Topic 11: Probability
Topic 12: Normal Distributions
Topic 13: Sampling Distributions: Proportions
Topic 14: Sampling Distributions: Means
Topic 15: Central Limit Theorem
Unit 4: Inference from Data: Principles
Topic 16: Confidence Intervals: Proportions
Topic 17: Tests of Significance: Proportions
Topic 18: More Inference Considerations
Topic 19: Confidence Intervals: Means
Topic 20: Tests of Significance: Means
Unit 5: Inference from Data: Comparisons
Topic 21: Comparing Two Proportions
Topic 22: Comparing Two Means
Topic 23: Analyzing Paired Data
Unit 6: Inferences with Categorical Data
Topic 24: Goodness-of-Fit Tests
Topic 25: Inference for Two-Way Tables
Unit 7: Relationships in Data
Topic 26: Graphical Displays of Association
Topic 27: Correlation Coefficient
Topic 28: Least Squares Regression
Topic 29: Inference for Correlation and Regression
TABLE I Random Digits.
TABLE II Standard Normal Probabilities.
TABLE III t-Distribution Critical Values.
TABLE IV Chi-Square Distribution Critical Values.
APPENDIX A Student Glossary.
APPENDIX B Sources for Studies and Datasets.
APPENDIX C List of Data Files and Applets.
Additional Content (online only):
Topic 30: Probability Rules (online only)
Topic 31: Random Variables (online only)
Topic 32: Binomial Distribution (online only)
Topic 33: Analysis of Variance (online only)
- New end-of-unit online lab activities/case studies incorporate technology and introduce students to concepts of statistical inference early and repeatedly throughout the course.
- Twenty percent of the in-class activities have been revised and/or updated based on instructor and student feedback. In general, the same concepts and methods are introduced but with different datasets.
- Datasets have been updated throughout the text to be timelier.
- Homework activities are now labeled as exercises. Approximately 25% new exercises have been added throughout the text.
- Introducing each topic, preliminary questions requiring the collection of student data are now listed under a separate sub-heading. In addition, activities that revisit the issues raised in the preliminary questions are now highlighted.
- To help students better understand (and use) the applets, screenshots have been annotated with explanations and guidelines.
- Learning objectives are summarized at the end of each topic with references to associated activities.
- Relevant photos have been added throughout the book.
- In order to improve navigation, the design of the book has been significantly revised. Specifically, the Watch Out feature and the Self-Check Activities have been re-designed to better draw students’ attention.
- Activities utilize the principles of student engagement and active learning and place stronger emphasis on developing students' conceptual understanding of key statistical ideas.
- Focus is on real, genuine data that students generate themselves to teach the real-world relevance of statistics.
- Teaches and requires group work, student writing and communication, and problem identification and solving.
- Models the philosophy and conforms to the research conclusions of two important sets of studies and recommendations: Garfield's "How Students Learn Statistics" and the "GAISE Guidelines"