Helping Children Learn Mathematics, 10th Edition
July 2012, ©2012
This text is intended for those who are or who will be teachers of mathematics in elementary school. It is designed to help readers, help children.
Chapter 2: Helping Children Learn Mathematics with Understanding
Chapter 3: Planning for and Teaching Diverse Learners
Chapter 4: Assessment: Enhanced Learning and Teaching
Chapter 5: Mathematical Processes and Practices
Chapter 6: Helping Children with Problem Solving
Chapter 7: Developing Counting and Number Sense in Early Grades
Chapter 8: Extending Number Sense: Place Value
Chapter 9: Operations: Meaning and Basic Facts
Chapter 10: Computation Methods: Calculators, Mental Computation, and Estimation
Chapter 11: Standard and Alternative Computational Algorithms
Chapter 12: Fractions and Decimals: Concepts and Operations
Chapter 13: Ratio, Proportion, and Percent: Meanings and Applications
Chapter 14: Algebraic Thinking
Chapter 15: Geometry
Chapter 16: Measurement
Chapter 17: Data Analysis, Statistics, and Probability
Chapter 18: Number Theory
- Updated to reflect current recommendations from the Common Core State Standards: Mathematics, and from the National Council of Teachers of Mathematics and other associations.
- All “Snapshots of a Lesson” now include video clips, easily accessed online.
- This edition utilizes videos from TeachScape, with research-based best practices, commentaries by noted researchers, and teacher reflections on featured instructional decisions to better promote understanding.
- Focus Questions: point the way into each of the chapters.
- Cultural Connections: located near the end of most chapters, highlights differences in the mathematical experiences and performance of students from different countries.
- Equity: an important issue in mathematics classrooms is highlighted throughout the text. Many ways of providing for individual differences are discussed and illustrated.
- "In the Classroom" Activities: found throughout the text in special boxes, these activities provide a wealth of ideas and strategies for teaching children the topics of each chapter.
- "Things to Do" End of Chapter Activities: found near the end of each chapter, these sections embody the text's active learning and teaching approach to mathematics.
- Children's Literature: specific books are referenced at various points within the text and an annotated list of useful books is provided at the end of each chapter.
- Updated and streamlined research is referenced throughout the text.
- Technology tools and strategies are discussed and illustrated within the text. Math Link boxes within the chapters also highlight additional technology resources, including virtual manipulatives.
- Wiley E-Texts are powered by VitalSource technologies e-book software.
- With Wiley E-Texts you can access your e-book how and where you want to study: Online, Download and Mobile.
- Wiley e-texts are non-returnable and non-refundable.
- WileyPLUS registration codes are NOT included with the Wiley E-Text. For informationon WileyPLUS, click here .
- To learn more about Wiley e-texts, please refer to our FAQ.
- E-books are offered as e-Pubs or PDFs. To download and read them, users must install Adobe Digital Editions (ADE) on their PC.
- E-books have DRM protection on them, which means only the person who purchases and downloads the e-book can access it.
- E-books are non-returnable and non-refundable.
- To learn more about our e-books, please refer to our FAQ.