Crossing the River with Dogs: Problem Solving for College Students, 2nd Edition
January 2012, ©2012
Instructor Resources X
1 Draw A Diagram 11
2 Make A Systematic List 29
3 Eliminate Possibilities 49
4 Use Matrix Logic 75
5 Look For A Pattern 117
6 Guess And Check 147
7 Identify Subproblems 177
8 Analyze The Units 201
9 Solve An Easier Related Problem 237
10 Create A Physical Representation 269
11 Work Backwards 299
12 Draw Venn Diagrams 325
13 Convert To Algebra 355
14 Evaluate Finite Differences 385
15 Organize Information In More Ways 419
16 Change Focus In More Ways 449
17 Visualize Spatial Relationships 477
Adding, Subtracting, Multiplying, And Dividing Fractions
Area And Volume Formulas
Properties Of Triangles
Properties Of Numbers
Index Of Problem Titles 000
General Index 000
Photo Credits 000
Answers To More Practice Problems 000
- New, more challenging problem sets to allow instructors greater flexibility in choosing which problems to assign students for particular topics.
- Problem sets and exposition in Chapter 4 Use Matrix Logic, Chapter 8 Analyze the Units, Chapter 12 Draw Venn Diagrams have been revised to make the material more clear, readable, and concise.
- More illustrative examples have been added to better explain to students how to use particular problem-solving strategies.
- An improved text design and layout boldly calls out section heads and explanations in order to make the text more readable and student-friendly.
- Examples are solved as dialogues between fictitious students so students can see common errors and learn to avoid pitfalls.
- Each chapter includes relevant examples of the strategy presented.
- Chapters conclude with problem sets made up of three levels: A (routine), B (lengthy), and Classic Problems whose level can be determined by instructors.
- Over a dozen distinct problem-solving strategies are developed in depth, including classic strategies as well as more contemporary strategies.
- Icons appear to indicate examples, important information, and difficult material.
- Wiley E-Texts are powered by VitalSource technologies e-book software.
- With Wiley E-Texts you can access your e-book how and where you want to study: Online, Download and Mobile.
- Wiley e-texts are non-returnable and non-refundable.
- WileyPLUS registration codes are NOT included with the Wiley E-Text. For informationon WileyPLUS, click here .
- To learn more about Wiley e-texts, please refer to our FAQ.
- E-books are offered as e-Pubs or PDFs. To download and read them, users must install Adobe Digital Editions (ADE) on their PC.
- E-books have DRM protection on them, which means only the person who purchases and downloads the e-book can access it.
- E-books are non-returnable and non-refundable.
- To learn more about our e-books, please refer to our FAQ.