Psychology Around Us, 2nd Edition
February 2012, ©2013
Psychology Around Us is available in alternate versions (eBooks and custom) for professors and students. For more information, visit the “Instructor’s Resource” tab or “Student Resource” tab below.
CHAPTER 2 Psychology as a Science 35
CHAPTER 3 Human Development 61
CHAPTER 4 Neuroscience 113
CHAPTER 5 Sensation and Perception 149
CHAPTER 6 Consciousness 189
CHAPTER 7 Learning 229
CHAPTER 8 Memory 269
CHAPTER 9 Language and Thought 313
CHAPTER 10 Intelligence 349
CHAPTER 11 Motivation 391
CHAPTER 12 Emotion, Stress, and Health 427
CHAPTER 13 Personality 483
CHAPTER 14 Social Psychology 523
CHAPTER 15 Psychological Disorders 567
CHAPTER 16 Treatment of Psychological Disorders 615
Text and Illustration Credits T-1
Photo Credits P-1
Name Index NI-1
Subject Index SI-1
- NEW Chapter and Coverage of Disorders. The second edition will now contain two Abnormal chapters: Chapter 15 Psychological Disorders and Chapter 16 Treatment of Psychological Disorders. The second edition will continue to tie-in When Things Go Wrong throughout, but When Things Go Wrong will feature briefer descriptions of psychological disorders―descriptions that tie the disorders to the particular chapters under discussion. Fuller coverage of psychological disorders will be found in the new disorders chapter.
- NEW Combined Chapter on Emotion, Stress, and Health. The most important concepts and research behind each of these topics will be retained and fully discussed within this combined chapter. However, the integration of the topics within a single chapter will help students fully appreciate the impact that our emotions, our reactions to stress, and our health have on each other.
- NEW Psychology Around Us examples are dedicated to helping students appreciate that both normal and abnormal behavior are fascinating, and to energize, excite, and demonstrate the enormous relevance of psychology to their lives. In this edition, more than 100 highlighted and integrated examples of real world happenings will appear regularly within the text, each showing that the psychological principles under discussion are indeed, all around us.
- Five NEW “Tying It Together, Your Brain & Behavior.” These exciting and accessible two-page photo essays appear throughout the book tying together how neuroscience affects every day behaviors as eating pizza, studying a second language, or speaking in public. These layouts, which include neuroimages and findings from both human and animal studies, draw students into the brain and provide them with up-to-date information about the neural mechanisms at work during their everyday experiences. New Tying It Together, Your Brain & Behavior include; Tying It Together, Your Brain & Behavior: As We Develop, Tying It Together, Your Brain & Behavior: When We Sleep, Tying It Together, Your Brain & Behavior: When We Get Angry, Tying It Together, Your Brain & Behavior: When We Feel Excluded, and Tying It Together, Your Brain & Behavior: When We Experience a Psychological Disorder.
- NEW End of Chapter Questions and Fill-in-the-Blanks have been added to each Chapter Summary.
- NEW questions that target the “Tying It Together, Your Brain & Behavior” feature at the end of chapter.
- Every chapter begins with an opening vignette that shows the power of psychology in understanding a whole range of human behavior. This theme is reinforced throughout the chapter, celebrating the extraordinary processes that make the everyday possible.
- Guided Learning allows students to be confident that they will master the material prior to beginning a chapter, and check for their understanding at the end of each section, this includes;
- A Learning Objective presented at the beginning of each chapter section identifies the most important material for students to understand while reading that section.
- Following each section is a Before You Go On feature that helps students check their mastery of the important items covered.
- What Do You Know? questions prompt students to stop and review the key concepts just presented.
- What Do You Think? questions encourage students to think critically on key questions in the chapter.
- Each chapter includes special topics on Psychology Around Us that highlights interesting news stories, current controversies in psychology, and relevant research findings that demonstrate psychology around us. The Practically Speaking box emphasizes the practical application of everyday psychology.
- Three NEW “Tying It Together, Your Brain & Behavior.” These exciting and accessible two-page photo essays appear throughout the book tying together how neuroscience affects every day behaviors as eating pizza, studying a second language, or speaking in public. These layouts, which include neuroimages and findings from both human and animal studies, draw students into the brain and provide them with up-to-date information about the neural mechanisms at work during their everyday experiences. New Tying It Together, Your Brain & Behavior include; Tying It Together, Your Brain & Behavior: As We Develop(Chapter 3), Tying It Together, Your Brain & Behavior: When We Sleep(Chapter 6), and Your Brain & Behavior: When We Feel Excluded(Chapter 14).
- Study Tools throughout the chapters include;
- Key Terms are listed at the end of each chapter with page references.
- Marginal Definitions are defined in the margin next to their discussion in the text.
- Marginal Notes present interesting facts and quotes throughout the chapter.
- Every chapter ends with a Tying It Together section, reiterating how material from other areas of psychology ties-in to the chapter’s topic.
- Chapter Summary: The end-of-chapter Summary reviews the main concepts presented in the chapter with reference to the specific Learning Objectives. It provides students with another opportunity to review what they have learned as well as to see how the key topics within the chapter fit together.
- Wiley E-Texts are powered by VitalSource technologies e-book software.
- With Wiley E-Texts you can access your e-book how and where you want to study: Online, Download and Mobile.
- Wiley e-texts are non-returnable and non-refundable.
- WileyPLUS registration codes are NOT included with the Wiley E-Text. For informationon WileyPLUS, click here .
- To learn more about Wiley e-texts, please refer to our FAQ.
- E-books are offered as e-Pubs or PDFs. To download and read them, users must install Adobe Digital Editions (ADE) on their PC.
- E-books have DRM protection on them, which means only the person who purchases and downloads the e-book can access it.
- E-books are non-returnable and non-refundable.
- To learn more about our e-books, please refer to our FAQ.