Calculus, 10th Edition
January 2012, ©2012
The seamless integration of Howard Anton’s Calculus, Tenth Edition with WileyPLUS, a research-based, online environment for effective teaching and learning, continues Anton’s vision of building student confidence in mathematics because it takes the guesswork out of studying by providing them with a clear roadmap: what to do, how to do it, and if they did it right.
Chapter 1. Limits and Continuity
Chapter 2. The Derivative
Chapter 3. The Derivative in Graphing and Applications
Chapter 4. Integration
Chapter 5. Applications of the Definite Integral in Geometry, Science and Engineering
Chapter 6. Exponential, Logarithmic, and Inverse Trigonometric Functions
Chapter 7. Principles of Integral Evaluation
Chapter 8. Mathematical Modeling with Differential Equations
Chapter 9. Infinite Series
Chapter 10. Parametric and Polar Curves; Conic Sections
Chapter 11. Three-Dimensional Space; Vectors
Chapter 12. Vector-Valued Functions
Chapter 13. Partial Derivatives
Chapter 14. Multiple Integrals
Chapter 15. Topics in Vector Calculus
Appendix A: Graphing Functions Using Calculators and Computer Algebra Systems
Appendix B: Trigonometry Review
Appendix C: Solving Polynomial Equations
Appendix D: Mathematical Models
Appendix E: Selected Proofs
Appendix F: Real Numbers, Intervals, and Inequalities
Appendix G: Absolute Value
Appendix H: Coordinate Planes, Lines, and Linear Functions
Appendix I: Distance, Circles, and Quadratic Functions
Appendix J: Second-Order Linear Homogeneous Differential Equations; The Vibrating String
Appendix K: The Discriminant
• New applied exercises have been added to the book and existing applied exercises have been updated.
• There will be more rich content, including assignable questions as well as new applets for visualization and exploration, in the WileyPLUS environment.
• Commitment to Student Success: Clear writing, effective pedagogy--including special exercises designed for self-assessment--and visual representations of the mathematics help students from a variety of backgrounds to learn. Recognizing variations in learning styles, the authors take a "rule of four" approach, presenting concepts from the verbal, algebraic, visual, and numerical points of view to foster deeper understanding whenever appropriate.
• Dependability: Anton provides thorough topic coverage organized to fit standard curricula and carefully constructed exercise sets that users of previous editions have come to depend upon.
• Flexibility: This edition is designed to serve a broad spectrum of calculus philosophies-from traditional to "reform." Technology can be emphasized or not, and the order of many topics can be adapted to accommodate each instructor's specific needs.
• Quick Check Exercises: Each exercise set begins with approximately five exercises (answers included) that are designed to provide the student with an immediate assessment of whether he or she has mastered key ideas from the section. They require a minimum of computation and can usually be answered by filling in the blanks.
• Focus on Concepts Exercises: Each exercise set contains a clearly identified group of problems that focus on the main ideas of the section.
• Technology Exercises: Most sections include exercises that are designed to be solved using either a graphing calculator or a computer algebra system such as Mathematica, Maple, or Derive. These exercises are marked with an icon for easy identification.
• Expository Excellence: Clear explanations allow students to build confidence and provide flexibility for the instructor to use class time for problem solving, applications and explanation of difficult concepts.
• Mathematical Level: The book is written at a mathematical level that is suitable for students planning on careers in engineering or science.
• Applicability of Calculus: One of the primary goals of this text is to link calculus to the real world and the student s own experience. This theme is carried through in the examples and exercises.
• Historical Notes: The biographies and historical notes have been a hallmark of this text from its first edition and have been maintained in this edition. All of the biographical materials have been distilled from standard sources with the goal of capturing the personalities of the great mathematicians and bringing them to life for the student.