Exploring Management, 3rd Edition
October 2011, ©2012
Exploring Management 3e supports teaching and learning of core management concepts by presenting material in a straight-forward, conversational style with a strong emphasis on application. With a focus on currency, high-interest examples and pedagogy that encourages students to personalize the learning experience, the 3rd Edition opens up the study of management for students to explore.
Offering a variety of teaching resources and the concept-based assessment of WileyPLUS, Exploring Management 3e fosters a learning environment that will inspire success in and out of the classroom. WileyPLUS provides a clear roadmap for students and builds confidence by taking the guesswork out of studying.
1 Managers and the Management Process: Everyone becomes a manager someday 2
2 Management Learning: Great things grow from strong foundations 30
3 Ethics and Social Responsibility: Character doesn’t stay home when we go to work 54
Planning and Controlling
4 Managers as Decision Makers: There is no substitute for a good decision 84
5 Plans and Planning Techniques: Get there faster with objectives 110
6 Controls and Control Systems: What gets measured happens. 132
7 Strategy and Strategic Management: Insight and hard work deliver results 156
8 Organization Structure and Design: It’s all about working together 178
9 Organizational Cultures, Innovation, and Change: Adaptability and values set the tone 204
10 Human Resource Management: Nurturing turns potential into performance 230
11 Leadership: A leader lives in each of us 256
12 Individual Behavior: There’s beauty in individual differences 282
13 Motivation: Respect unlocks human potential 306
14 Teams and Teamwork: Two heads really can be better than one 330
15 Communication: Listening is the key to understanding 358
16 Diversity and Global Cultures: Th ere are new faces in the neighborhood 382
17 Globalization and International Business: Going global isn’t just for travelers 402
18 Entrepreneurship and Small Business: Taking risks can make dreams come true 422
Skill-Building Portfolio SB-1
Cases for Critical Thinking C-1
• NEW Skill-Building Portfolio: This section includes self assessments, class exercises and team projects, which correspond to every chapter in the text, including teaching notes in the Instructor's Manual.
• NEW Fast Company 30-Second MBA Videos: Video collection features Fast Company's 30-Second MBA videos, an ongoing video "curriculum" of insightful advice from business leaders of today.
• Experiential Exercises: Class activities offered throughout the text provide opportunities for discussion and debate.
• Applied Pedagogy: Features like skill builders, active learning activities and team projects give students frequent opportunities to apply management concepts.
- Wiley E-Texts are powered by VitalSource technologies e-book software.
- With Wiley E-Texts you can access your e-book how and where you want to study: Online, Download and Mobile.
- Wiley e-texts are non-returnable and non-refundable.
- WileyPLUS registration codes are NOT included with the Wiley E-Text. For informationon WileyPLUS, click here .
- To learn more about Wiley e-texts, please refer to our FAQ.
- E-books are offered as e-Pubs or PDFs. To download and read them, users must install Adobe Digital Editions (ADE) on their PC.
- E-books have DRM protection on them, which means only the person who purchases and downloads the e-book can access it.
- E-books are non-returnable and non-refundable.
- To learn more about our e-books, please refer to our FAQ.