Introduction to Computing Using Python: An Application Development Focus
December 2011, ©2012
Meet the author here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TlDzgJdKWUA
Chapter 2. Python Data Types
Chapter 3. Imperative Programming
Chapter 4. Text data, Files, and Exceptions
Chapter 5. Execution Control Structures
Chapter 6. Containers and Randomness
Chapter 7. Namespaces
Chapter 8. Object-Oriented Programming
Chapter 9. Graphical User Interfaces
Chapter 10. Recursion
Chapter 11. The Web and Search
Chapter 12. Databases and Data Processing
• This approach allows students to write small functions and for exercises early in the course, and also allows homework assignments to be set up as applications (i.e. complete functions) early on.
• As the built-in data types, conditionals, loops, and functional and modular abstractions are studied in more depth in later chapters the focus of the textbook narrative remains on problem solving and on patterns used to break problems up and design programs.
• Inline practice problems appear throughout the book to help reinforce concepts. The solutions to these problems appear at the end of the corresponding chapter, allowing students to check their work or take a peek in case they are stuck.
• Language features are introduced as constructs that help solve a problem or achieve a desirable program design.
• In the process of developing applications, program complexity rises to a point when object oriented techniques are easier to motivate, and therefore learn.
• In the last three chapters, the context of web crawling and search engines are used to introduce a broad array of topics: recursion, regular expressions, depth-first search, Google's MapReduce framework, HTML parsers, SQL, and multicore programming.
• Most chapters include a case study that showcases the concepts and tools covered in the chapter in context.
• Uses Caution boxes to warn students of potential pitfalls, and Detour boxes to briefly explore tangential topics.
• Contains a large number of boxes, practice problems, figures, and tables which create visual breaks in the text, making the volume more approachable for today's students.
- Wiley E-Texts are powered by VitalSource technologies e-book software.
- With Wiley E-Texts you can access your e-book how and where you want to study: Online, Download and Mobile.
- Wiley e-texts are non-returnable and non-refundable.
- WileyPLUS registration codes are NOT included with the Wiley E-Text. For informationon WileyPLUS, click here .
- To learn more about Wiley e-texts, please refer to our FAQ.
- E-books are offered as e-Pubs or PDFs. To download and read them, users must install Adobe Digital Editions (ADE) on their PC.
- E-books have DRM protection on them, which means only the person who purchases and downloads the e-book can access it.
- E-books are non-returnable and non-refundable.
- To learn more about our e-books, please refer to our FAQ.