Deformation and Fracture Mechanics of Engineering Materials, 5th Edition
April 2012, ©2012
The 5th edition includes new end-of-chapter homework problems, examples, illustrations, and a new chapter on products liability and recall addressing the associated social consequences of product failure. The new edition continues to discuss actual failure case histories, and includes new discussion of the fracture behavior and fractography of ceramics, glasses, and composite materials, and a section on natural materials including bone and sea shells.
New co-authors Richard P. Vinci and Jason L. Hertzberg add their talent and expertise to broaden the book's perspective, while maintaining a balance between the continuum mechanics understanding of the failure of solids and the roles of the material's nano- and microstructure as they influence the mechanical properties of materials.
Chapter 2. Yielding and Plastic Flow
Chapter 3. Controlling Strength
Chapter 4. Time-Dependent Deformation
Chapter 5. Fracture: An Overview
Chapter 6. Elements of Fracture Mechanics
Chapter 7. Fracture Toughness
Chapter 8. Environment-Assisted Cracking
Chapter 9. Cyclic Stress and Strain Fatigue
Chapter 10. Fatigue Crack Propagation
Chapter 11. Analyses of Engineering Failures
Chapter 12. Consequences of Product Failure
• Greater balance and integration among material classes, with increased coverage of glass, ceramics, polymers, composites, nanomaterials, and natural materials including bone and mollusk shells.
• New examples and case histories of actual failures, including shot guns, manatee bones, and the Titanic ship's deficient wrought iron rivets.
• New sections on elastic buckling, adhesion, and ultra high cycle fatigue.
• Expanded discussions of yield criteria, fractography, environmental degradation mechanisms, and environmentally enhanced fatigue crack propagation processes.
• A new chapter discussing product liability and product recall.
• Revised and supplemented appendices containing new specimen configurations and Y calibrations.
• Revised and expanded indices, and a new guide to data tables inside the back cover.
• Over 1500 references cited throughout the text, including more than 300 new sources.
• More than 550 figures, with over 80 new illustrations, hundreds of redrawn plots, and photographs recreated from the original images.
• More than 300 new end-chapter problems now organized by learning goal.
- Wiley E-Texts are powered by VitalSource technologies e-book software.
- With Wiley E-Texts you can access your e-book how and where you want to study: Online, Download and Mobile.
- Wiley e-texts are non-returnable and non-refundable.
- WileyPLUS registration codes are NOT included with the Wiley E-Text. For informationon WileyPLUS, click here .
- To learn more about Wiley e-texts, please refer to our FAQ.
- E-books are offered as e-Pubs or PDFs. To download and read them, users must install Adobe Digital Editions (ADE) on their PC.
- E-books have DRM protection on them, which means only the person who purchases and downloads the e-book can access it.
- E-books are non-returnable and non-refundable.
- To learn more about our e-books, please refer to our FAQ.