The Complete Guide to Greener Meetings and Events
September 2011, ©2012
This book broadly explores sustainable management in the hospitality, tourism, conference and exhibition, and meeting and event industries, as well as countless smaller industries that include arts and music festivals and tour operators. Readers who are studying in, working in, or even just interested in these industries will reap innumerable benefits from the exciting journey ahead of them in The Complete Guide to Greener Meetings and Events.
Series Editor Foreword: Dr. Joe Goldblatt, CSEP ix
PART ONE Innovation
CHAPTER 1 The Theory and Practice of Greener Meetings and Events 3
CHAPTER 2 Event Pollution 23
CHAPTER 3 Planning the Greener Event 37
CHAPTER 4 Measuring “Green” 59
PART TWO Conservation
CHAPTER 5 Green Light: Sustainable Transportation 83
CHAPTER 6 Waste Management 101
CHAPTER 7 Energy and Water 123
CHAPTER 8 Green Cuisine and Eco-Chic Decor 153
CHAPTER 9 Greener Hotels, Venues, and Vendors 179
PART THREE Education
CHAPTER 10 Social Sustainability 211
CHAPTER 11 Greener Meeting and Event Marketing 233
CHAPTER 12 Greener Events in Practice 259
APPENDIX 1 References and Resources 279
APPENDIX 2 Model Greener Events, Venues, Organizations, and Associations 284
APPENDIX 3 Greener Supplier Directory 287
APPENDIX 4 Sustainable Menu 291
APPENDIX 5 Greener Artist Rider 292
The book is divided into three parts, which reflect defining principles of greener meetings and events: Innovation, Conservation, and Education.
Broad topical coverage with hundreds of practical outcomes teach you how to:
Create a strategic green plan
Measure your carbon footprint and source renewable energy
Create delicious sustainable menus and save money with energy-efficient products
Use web-based social media to attract new audiences
Each chapter ends with a Summary, definitions of Key Terms, suggested further reading or viewing (Renewable Resources) and an activity called “Blue Sky Thinking”, which will help you put your learning into practice.
Web sites of model greener meetings and events are provided throughout the book.
- Wiley E-Texts are powered by VitalSource and accessed via the VitalSource Bookshelf reader, available online and via a downloadable app.
- Wiley E-Texts are accessible online and offline, and can be read on a variety of devices, including smartphones and tablets.
- Wiley E-Texts are non-returnable and non-refundable.
- Wiley E-Texts are protected by DRM. For specific DRM policies, please refer to our FAQ.
- WileyPLUS registration codes are NOT included with any Wiley E-Text. For informationon WileyPLUS, click here .
- To learn more about Wiley E-Texts, please refer to our FAQ.
- E-books are offered as e-Pubs or PDFs. To download and read them, users must install Adobe Digital Editions (ADE) on their PC.
- E-books have DRM protection on them, which means only the person who purchases and downloads the e-book can access it.
- E-books are non-returnable and non-refundable.
- To learn more about our e-books, please refer to our FAQ.