Human Geography: People, Place, and Culture, 10th Edition
January 2012, ©2012
1 Introduction to Human Geography 1
2 Population 36
3 Migration 78
4 Local Culture, Popular Culture, and Cultural Landscapes 112
5 Identity: Race, Ethnicity, Gender and Sexuality 144
6 Language 172
7 Religion 203
8 Political Geography 249
9 Urban Geography 288
10 Development 335
11 Agriculture 365
12 Industry and Services 403
13 The Humanized Environment 434
14 Globalization and the Geography of Networks 464
Appendix A: Maps A-1
Appendix B: Area and Demographic Data for the World's States A-10
Appendix C: Glossary A-18
Appendix D: References A-31
- Increased focus on identity and how every human being forges an identity in a global world
- All maps in the book have been revised to reflect 2010 Census data (data in the previous edition was from the 2000 census)
- Entire book was updated with new chapter opening vignettes, field notes and photos.
- There have been significant updates and revisions to chapters 11, 12, 13 which were all reviewed by subject area experts
- "From the Field" examine a specific place, its location, what the issues are, geographers' field research and what the authors found in their own observations.
- "Applying geographic knowledge" sections at the end of each chapter, address the key concepts used within the chapter and force students to apply geographic concepts.
- All geographic concepts are shown and explained with the most up-to-date photos, illustrations and maps.
- MAP strengths known to all de Blij titles (Maps, Accuracy, and Photos).
- "Key questions" are listed after the opening field note of each chapter and serve as the outline for the chapter.
- "Thinking Geographically" questions ask the reader to apply a geographic concept to a real life example.
- Wiley E-Texts are powered by VitalSource and accessed via the VitalSource Bookshelf reader, available online and via a downloadable app.
- Wiley E-Texts are accessible online and offline, and can be read on a variety of devices, including smartphones and tablets.
- Wiley E-Texts are non-returnable and non-refundable.
- Wiley E-Texts are protected by DRM. For specific DRM policies, please refer to our FAQ.
- WileyPLUS registration codes are NOT included with any Wiley E-Text. For informationon WileyPLUS, click here .
- To learn more about Wiley E-Texts, please refer to our FAQ.
- E-books are offered as e-Pubs or PDFs. To download and read them, users must install Adobe Digital Editions (ADE) on their PC.
- E-books have DRM protection on them, which means only the person who purchases and downloads the e-book can access it.
- E-books are non-returnable and non-refundable.
- To learn more about our e-books, please refer to our FAQ.