Archaeological Theory: An Introduction, 2nd Edition
January 2010, ©2010, Wiley-Blackwell
- New edition of a popular introductory text that explores the increasing diversity of approaches to archaeological theory
- Features more extended coverage of 'traditional' or culture-historical archaeology
- Examines theory across the English-speaking world and beyond
- Offers greatly expanded coverage of evolutionary theory, divided into sociocultural and Darwinist approaches
- Includes an expanded glossary, bibliography, and useful suggestions for further readings
Preface: The Contradictions of Theory x
1 Common Sense is Not Enough 1
2 The 'New Archaeology' 12
3 Archaeology as a Science 35
4 Middle-range Theory, Ethnoarchaeology and Material Culture Studies 50
5 Culture and Process 68
6 Thoughts and Ideologies 89
7 Postprocessual and Interpretive Archaeologies 102
8 Archaeology, Gender and Identity 122
9 Archaeology and Cultural Evolution 143
10 Archaeology and Darwinian Evolution 164
11 Archaeology and History 185
12 Archaeology, Politics and Culture 199
13 Conclusion: The Future of Theory 216
Selective Glossary 236
Further Reading 245
- Thoroughly updated and enhanced new edition that reflects the latest thinking in archaeological methods
- Explores the increasing diversity of approaches to archaeological theory
- Delves into theories outside of the English-speaking world
- Offers greatly expanded coverage of Darwinian theory
- Includes a comprehensive glossary, bibliography, and engaging suggestions for further readings
—Ian Hodder, Stanford University
"With disarming wit and inspiring clarity, Matthew Johnson's Archaeological Theory provides an engaging history of archaeological thinking that illuminates the discipline's past and charts new pathways for its future."
—Adam Smith, University of Chicago
"This is the key text for understanding archaeological theory. Matthew Johnson explains concepts and terms clearly and succinctly and makes complex theoretical ideas easily accessible."
—Claire Smith, Flinders University
"In its coverage even better than the first edition, and as refreshingly written. An excellent guide through the changing landscape of archaeological theory. A 'must read'!"
—Graeme Barker, University of Cambridge
- Wiley E-Texts are powered by VitalSource technologies e-book software.
- With Wiley E-Texts you can access your e-book how and where you want to study: Online, Download and Mobile.
- Wiley e-texts are non-returnable and non-refundable.
- WileyPLUS registration codes are NOT included with the Wiley E-Text. For informationon WileyPLUS, click here .
- To learn more about Wiley e-texts, please refer to our FAQ.
- E-books are offered as e-Pubs or PDFs. To download and read them, users must install Adobe Digital Editions (ADE) on their PC.
- E-books have DRM protection on them, which means only the person who purchases and downloads the e-book can access it.
- E-books are non-returnable and non-refundable.
- To learn more about our e-books, please refer to our FAQ.