Fundamentals of Biochemistry: Life at the Molecular Level, 4th Edition
July 2015, ©2013
PART I INTRODUCTION
1 Introduction to the Chemistry of Life 1
2 Water 22
PART II BIOMOLECULES
3 Nucleotides, Nucleic Acids, and Genetic Information 40
4 Amino Acids 76
5 Proteins: Primary Structure 93
6 Proteins: Three-Dimensional Structure 127
7 Protein Function: Myoglobin and Hemoglobin, Muscle Contraction, and Antibodies 176
8 Carbohydrates 217
9 Lipids and Biological Membranes 241
10 Membrane Transport 288
PART III ENZYMES
11 Enzymatic Catalysis 315
12 Enzyme Kinetics, Inhibition, and Control 355
13 Biochemical Signaling 396
PART IV METABOLISM
14 Introduction to Metabolism 436
15 Glucose Catabolism 472
16 Glycogen Metabolism and Gluconeogenesis 517
17 Citric Acid Cycle 551
18 Electron Transport and Oxidative Phosphorylation 581
19 Photosynthesis 623
20 Lipid Metabolism 657
21 Amino Acid Metabolism 712
22 Mammalian Fuel Metabolism: Integration and Regulation 767
PART V GENE EXPRESSION AND REPLICATION
23 Nucleotide Metabolism 793
24 Nucleic Acid Structure 821
25 DNA Replication, Repair, and Recombination 867
26 Transcription and RNA Processing 919
27 Protein Synthesis 962
28 Regulation of Gene Expression 1013
Solutions to Odd-Numbered Problems SP-1
• Checkpoint: A robust set of questions appearing at the end of every section for students to check their mastery of the section's Key Concepts. 280 NEW end of chapter problems have been added for a total of 788 end of chapter problems in the text (over 60% more than previous edition). Each chapter also includes a new category of question entitled More to Explore. More to Explore questions may ask students to extend the material they've learned in the chapter or having just read the chapter, ask that they apply the chapter's content to other topics.
• Expanded Summaries correlated to the main headings
• Process Diagrams: These visually distinct illustrations highlight important concepts and integrate descriptive text into the figure, appealing to visual learners.
• Figure Questions: Included within many captions, these questions encourage students to test their knowledge and understanding of the process being illustrated
• Meaningful art development. Many figures have been redeveloped to enhance understanding
- Author reputation - The authors are well-known and highly regarded teachers, biochemical educators and researchers, bringing the highest level of accuracy, currency and scholarship to the book
- Balanced coverage, explaining the chemistry behind the biology
- Grounding in chemistry provides students with an understanding of reactions at the molecular level and helps students see patterns and the "big picture." FOB4e provides sample calculations and step by step walkthroughs for key equations.
- Liberal use of original figures from the research literature coupled with author-developed schematics designed for clarity and understanding
- Includes the most up-to-date coverage and structures, particularly in areas impacting upon human health and disease
- Inclusion of BioInformatic Exercises and Case Study end of chapter questions
- Wiley E-Texts are powered by VitalSource and accessed via the VitalSource Bookshelf reader, available online and via a downloadable app.
- Wiley E-Texts are accessible online and offline, and can be read on a variety of devices, including smartphones and tablets.
- Wiley E-Texts are non-returnable and non-refundable.
- Wiley E-Texts are protected by DRM. For specific DRM policies, please refer to our FAQ.
- WileyPLUS registration codes are NOT included with any Wiley E-Text. For informationon WileyPLUS, click here .
- To learn more about Wiley E-Texts, please refer to our FAQ.
- E-books are offered as e-Pubs or PDFs. To download and read them, users must install Adobe Digital Editions (ADE) on their PC.
- E-books have DRM protection on them, which means only the person who purchases and downloads the e-book can access it.
- E-books are non-returnable and non-refundable.
- To learn more about our e-books, please refer to our FAQ.