Spanish for Veterinarians: A Practical Introduction, 2nd Edition
May 2008, ©2008, Wiley-Blackwell
CHAPTER 1: Getting Started 3
Pronunciation of Spanish 3
Nouns and Plurals 5
Articles and Plurals 6
Names of Animals 6
CHAPTER 2: The Body and How to Describe It 11
External Body Parts 14
Internal Organs 15
CHAPTER 3: Verbs: Where the Action Is 19
Regular Verbs 19
Weak-Kneed Verbs 22
CHAPTER 4: Irregular Verbs 25
Four Essential Irregular Verbs: tener, estar, ser, and ir 25
World's Simplest Verb: hay 32
CHAPTER 5: How Long Has the Cow Had a Fever? 33
Duration of Time 33
The Present Perfect 34
The Verb dar 36
Feeding Vocabulary 37
CHAPTER 6: The Past and Accidents 41
Past Time Verbs 41
CHAPTER 7: Telling People What to Do 49
Verbal Shorthand 49
Giving Commands 50
Giving Something to Somebody 53
Polite Suggestions 54
CHAPTER 8: Taking a Clinical History 57
CHAPTER 9: The Diagnostic Exam 61
CHAPTER 10: Cattle 67
Special Vocabulary 68
CHAPTER 11: Horses 75
Special Vocabulary 76
CHAPTER 12: Sheep and Goats 79
Special Vocabulary 79
CHAPTER 13: Swine 83
Special Vocabulary 83
CHAPTER 14: Dogs and Cats 87
Special Vocabulary 87
CHAPTER 15: Exotic Pets 93
Special Vocabulary 93
APPENDIX: Registration Forms 99
Answer Key to Exercises 103
Juan Mosqueda is a Professor of Immunology, School of Veterinary Medicine, College of Natural Sciences, Autonomous University of Queretaro, Mexico.
- A pronunciation guide and explanations of how to conjugate verbs.
- Ample vocabulary lists for animals, body parts, and diseases.
- Discussions on the role of animals in Hispanic culture and on how to handle introductions and small talk.
- Vocabulary for obtaining information for the clinical history and the diagnostic exam.
- Chapters on specific animals, including a new chapter on exotics.
- Vocabulary for check-in forms.
- An English-to-Spanish and Spanish-to-English dictionary of practical veterinary terms alphabetized together.
- Wiley E-Texts are powered by VitalSource technologies e-book software.
- With Wiley E-Texts you can access your e-book how and where you want to study: Online, Download and Mobile.
- Wiley e-texts are non-returnable and non-refundable.
- WileyPLUS registration codes are NOT included with the Wiley E-Text. For informationon WileyPLUS, click here .
- To learn more about Wiley e-texts, please refer to our FAQ.
- E-books are offered as e-Pubs or PDFs. To download and read them, users must install Adobe Digital Editions (ADE) on their PC.
- E-books have DRM protection on them, which means only the person who purchases and downloads the e-book can access it.
- E-books are non-returnable and non-refundable.
- To learn more about our e-books, please refer to our FAQ.