Creating Your Culinary Career
June 2013, ©2013
Aspiring culinary professionals face so many choices as they launch themselves into a career that it can be overwhelming. From traditional restaurants, banquet facilities, and contract foodservice operations to bakeshop establishments, research and development, and food communications, this book provides practical advice on how to achieve success in any culinary field. Chapters of the book include A Culinary Career; Goal-Setting for Your Culinary Career; Résumés, Cover Letters, and Job Applications; Landing a Job: Interviewing and Negotiating; and The Novice Culinarian: Education and Experience; The Journeyman; and The Master Culinarian. This book offers advice to culinarians at all stages, including those in the middle of their careers, and experienced professionals with advice on how to network and how to mentor.
1 A CULINARY CAREER 1
2 GOAL-SETTING FOR YOUR CULINARY CAREER 39
3 RÉSUMÉS, COVER LETTERS, AND JOB APPLICATIONS 65
4 LANDING A JOB: INTERVIEWING AND NEGOTIATING 103
5 THE NOVICE CULINARIAN: EDUCATION AND EXPERIENCE 143
6 THE JOURNEYMAN 177
7 THE MASTER CULINARIAN 209
APPENDIX I: SALARIES IN THE CULINARY INDUSTRY 238
APPENDIX II: JOB OUTLOOK AND SALARIES FOR SPECIFIC JOBS AND CAREERS IN THE CULINARY ARTS 241
APPENDIX III: QUESTIONS IN THE INTERVIEW 251
APPENDIX IV: JOB SEARCH AND PROFESSIONAL DEVELOPMENT RESOURCES 259
- The book is a must-have for anyone who wants to pursue a culinary career, with practical advice on everything, from choosing an area of specialization to landing a first job.
- Ronald Hayes, Associate Director--Career Services at The Culinary Institute of America, explores the wide range of opportunities available to the aspiring culinary professional by dividing career goals into short-term (attainable within one to five years), intermediate (attainable within five to ten years), and long-term (attainable in ten years and beyond)
- A résumé is a promotional tool, or amuse-bouche, in culinary terms: a single perfect bite that encompasses the totality of one’s skills and leaves the guest wanting more. It is a reflection of experience, education, and skill, and this book will guide the reader through the process of writing a résume and cover letter and on to landing a job through effective interviewing and negotiating with a potential employer.
- Wiley E-Texts are powered by VitalSource and accessed via the VitalSource Bookshelf reader, available online and via a downloadable app.
- Wiley E-Texts are accessible online and offline, and can be read on a variety of devices, including smartphones and tablets.
- Wiley E-Texts are non-returnable and non-refundable.
- Wiley E-Texts are protected by DRM. For specific DRM policies, please refer to our FAQ.
- WileyPLUS registration codes are NOT included with any Wiley E-Text. For informationon WileyPLUS, click here .
- To learn more about Wiley E-Texts, please refer to our FAQ.
- E-books are offered as e-Pubs or PDFs. To download and read them, users must install Adobe Digital Editions (ADE) on their PC.
- E-books have DRM protection on them, which means only the person who purchases and downloads the e-book can access it.
- E-books are non-returnable and non-refundable.
- To learn more about our e-books, please refer to our FAQ.