Bread: A Baker's Book of Techniques and Recipes, 2nd Edition
December 2012, ©2013
When Bread was first published in 2004, it received the Julia Child Award for best First Book and became an instant classic. Hailed as a “masterwork of bread baking literature,” Jeffrey Hamelman’s Bread features 140 detailed, step-by-step formulas for versatile sourdough ryes; numerous breads made with pre-ferments; and simple, straight dough loaves. Here, the bread baker and student will discover a diverse collection of flavors, tastes, and textures; hundreds of drawings that vividly illustrate techniques; and four-color photographs of finished and decorative breads.
List of Recipes
Changes to the Second Edition
Foreword by Raymond Calvel
Part One: Ingredients and Techniques
1 The Bread-Making Process from Mixing through Baking
2 Ingredients and Their Function
3 Hand Techniques
Part Two: Formulas and Decorative Breads
4 Breads Made with Yeasted Pre-Ferments
5 Levain Breads
6 Sourdough Rye Breads
7 Straight Doughs
8 Miscellaneous Breads
9 Braiding Techniques
10 Decorative and Display Projects
About the Author
Jeffrey Hamelman is one of the very few Certified Master Bakers in the United States. He is the bakery director at the King Arthur Flour Company and teaches professional-level classes at King Arthur's Baking Education Center. He has taught in baking and pastry schools around the world and is the 2005 recipient of the Golden Baguette Award, the highest individual honor bestowed by the Bread Bakers Guild of America.
Chiho Kaneko is a fine artist whose work has been exhibited in both the United States and Japan. She also works as a translator and interpreter. She is a native of Japan with a background in landscape architecture, agronomy, and art.
- Features 140 bread formulas (including 30 new breads)
- 252 illustrations of step-by-step techniques
- 41 full-color photographs
- Updated information on working with locally grown whole grains, understanding trends in milling technology, and teaching hand mixing techniques
- Jeffrey Hamelman, winner of the 1996 Coupe du Monde, provides bakers with the appropriate tools to master bread making, with hundreds of drawings and many color photographs.
- Bread contains 140 detailed, step-by-step formulas for a vast array of breads, including Swiss Farmhouse Bread, German Farmer’s Bread, and Baguettes de Tradition.
- Sidebars accompany each recipe and section with valuable tips, from the subtle art of tasting and evaluating breads.
- Wiley E-Texts are powered by VitalSource technologies e-book software.
- With Wiley E-Texts you can access your e-book how and where you want to study: Online, Download and Mobile.
- Wiley e-texts are non-returnable and non-refundable.
- WileyPLUS registration codes are NOT included with the Wiley E-Text. For informationon WileyPLUS, click here .
- To learn more about Wiley e-texts, please refer to our FAQ.
- E-books are offered as e-Pubs or PDFs. To download and read them, users must install Adobe Digital Editions (ADE) on their PC.
- E-books have DRM protection on them, which means only the person who purchases and downloads the e-book can access it.
- E-books are non-returnable and non-refundable.
- To learn more about our e-books, please refer to our FAQ.