Off-Premise Catering Management, 3rd Edition
December 2012, ©2013
For nearly two decades, Off-Premise Catering Management has been the trusted resource professional and aspiring caterers turn to for guidance on setting up and managing a successful off-premise catering business. This comprehensive reference covers every aspect of the caterer's job, from menu planning, pricing, food and beverage service, equipment, and packing, delivery, and set-up logistics, to legal considerations, financial management, human resources, marketing, sanitation and safety, and more. This new Third Edition has been completely revised and updated to include the latest industry trends and real-life examples.
Chapter 1. Introduction to Off-Premise Catering Management
Chapter 2. Getting Started: Laws, Locations, and Contracts
Chapter 3. Menu Planning
Chapter 4. Beverage Service
Chapter 5. Catering Equipment
Chapter 6. Logistics for Off-Premise Catering
Chapter 7. Human Resources
Chapter 8. The Show
Chapter 9. Marketing
Chapter 10. Pricing Off-Premise Catered Events
Chapter 11. Purchasing, Receiving, and Storing Foods
Chapter 12. Sanitation and Safety
Chapter 13. Accessory Services and Special Themes
Chapter 14. Budgeting, Accounting, and Financial Management
Chris Thomas has been a writer for more than 30 years, specializing in food and wine topics. A former restaurant critic, she is the coauthor of 15 books, including The Bar and Beverage Book and Design and Equipment for Restaurants and Foodservice.
Bill Hansen is a 40-year veteran of the catering industry and the CEO of Bill Hansen Catering in Miami, Florida.
- New content includes information on website development, social media marketing, the latest in commercial kitchen equipment, and budgeting and accounting software
- Information on “green” catering and contemporary food trends
- New chapter on beverage service that includes off-premise bar set-up, contemporary cocktail ingredients, and guidance on selecting beers and wines for events
- Applications oriented include many useful forms and checklists throughout the planning and execution stages of the event.
- Extended coverage of marketing off-premise catering businesses
- Time-management tips
- Helpful staff recruiting and training ideas
- Creative ways to find unique and exciting catering venues