The World Today: Concepts and Regions in Geography, 6th Edition
October 2012, ©2013
This latest edition of The World Today reflects our continuing commitment to bring to readers our geographic perspectives on a fast-changing world and its dynamic regional components. Since the previous edition, the author team has spent much time traveling, researching, and lecturing in all 12 realms as well as in dozens of countries around the globe, allowing first-hand contact with the most current developments. We trust that you will find this Sixth Edition as informative and challenging as you have our earlier ones.
WORLD REGIONAL GEOGRAPHY: GLOBAL PERSPECTIVES 2
CHAPTER 1A EUROPE: DEFINING THE REALM 32
CHAPTER 1B EUROPE: REGIONS OF THE REALM 52
CHAPTER 2A RUSSIA: DEFINING THE REALM 80
CHAPTER 2B RUSSIA: REGIONS OF THE REALM 100
CHAPTER 3A NORTH AMERICA: DEFINING THE REALM 116
CHAPTER 3B NORTH AMERICA: REGIONS OF THE REALM 136
CHAPTER 4A MIDDLE AMERICA: DEFINING THE REALM 150
CHAPTER 4B MIDDLE AMERICA: REGIONS OF THE REALM 166
CHAPTER 5A SOUTH AMERICA: DEFINING THE REALM 186
CHAPTER 5B SOUTH AMERICA: REGIONS OF THE REALM 202
CHAPTER 6A SUBSAHARAN AFRICA: DEFINING THE REALM 228
CHAPTER 6B SUBSAHARAN AFRICA: REGIONS OF THE REALM 248
CHAPTER 7A NORTH AFRICA/SOUTHWEST ASIA: DEFINING THE REALM 272
CHAPTER 7B NORTH AFRICA/SOUTHWEST ASIA: REGIONS OF THE REALM 292
CHAPTER 8A SOUTH ASIA: DEFINING THE REALM 322
CHAPTER 8B SOUTH ASIA: REGIONS OF THE REALM 342
CHAPTER 9A EAST ASIA: DEFINING THE REALM 366
CHAPTER 9B EAST ASIA: REGIONS OF THE REALM 384
CHAPTER 10A SOUTHEAST ASIA: DEFINING THE REALM 404
CHAPTER 10B SOUTHEAST ASIA: REGIONS OF THE REALM 422
CHAPTER 11 THE AUSTRAL REALM 442
CHAPTER 12 PACIFIC REALM AND POLAR FUTURES 460
APPENDIX A METRIC STANDARD INTERNATIONAL (SI) AND CUSTOMARY UNITS AND THEIR CONVERSIONS A-1
APPENDIX B AREA AND DEMOGRAPHIC DATA FOR THE WORLD’S STATES B-1
ADDITIONAL APPENDICES AND OTHER MATERIAL AVAILABLE ONLINE: Using the Maps www.wiley.com/college/deblij
Opportunities in Geography www.wiley.com/college/deblij
Pronunciation Guide www.wiley.com/college/deblij
Concept Caching Website www.wiley.com/college/deblij
References and Further Readings www.wiley.com/college/deblij
- New sections that explain the fundamental issues and that profile the countries most at risk.
- New material on the housing crisis and foreclosures.
- New material is introduced on the predicament of small-island developing economies that prevail in the Caribbean Basin.
- New photos, maps, and field notes, as well as new text on Indian Ocean geopolitics, gender issues, demographic concerns, India’s economic rise, and Pakistan’s challenges.
- Wiley E-Texts are powered by VitalSource technologies e-book software.
- With Wiley E-Texts you can access your e-book how and where you want to study: Online, Download and Mobile.
- Wiley e-texts are non-returnable and non-refundable.
- WileyPLUS registration codes are NOT included with the Wiley E-Text. For informationon WileyPLUS, click here .
- To learn more about Wiley e-texts, please refer to our FAQ.
- E-books are offered as e-Pubs or PDFs. To download and read them, users must install Adobe Digital Editions (ADE) on their PC.
- E-books have DRM protection on them, which means only the person who purchases and downloads the e-book can access it.
- E-books are non-returnable and non-refundable.
- To learn more about our e-books, please refer to our FAQ.